The Department of Instructional Technology  has offered classes for
librarians in our district (Houston, Texas) for the past two years. Some of
you might be interested in doing something like this in your school
districts so I thought I would share the idea with you. The classes are
called the Librarians' Internet Research Institute and run over a 3 day
period . Librarians are paid a $50 stipend each day for attending.  I have
taught this class for two summers with my good friend and co-worker who is
a Computer Science teacher at my high school.  We are paid for teaching the
class and also for one week of preparation. Of the over 200 librarians in
our very large district, over 46 librarians have taken the classes so far.
Last summer we taught two beginning level classes and this summer we are
teaching one beginning and one advanced.  I have learned quite a bit in
order to teach the class and we have had some fun but also crammed a
mountain of information into a short space of time.  We have covered search
strategies, useful urls, lesson planning, powerpoint presentations,
filtering, aup's, network basics, plugins, online databases, marc records,
and school library web pages.  My very clever co-worker has created a
website for the class. It is located at

http://www.houston.isd.tenet.edu/BellaireHS/LIRI/

It is great to get paid for learning!  Another plus is that I get to know
some of my fellow librarians better.  Having a librarian and a teacher
working together sends a positive message about teacher-librarian
cooperation.  We are emphasizing the role of the librarian as leader in Web
technology and the world of the Internet.

I would welcome some feedback on our effort.