>When I was in first and second grade in the mid 1950's we went to get
>books
>once a week and I absolutely HATED IT that we could only select from a
>certain section.   That long ago experience has really influenced me to
>never restrict what a student can check out.

Mary Alice's experience reminded me of when a number of years ago my
family moved to another state.  I volunteered to help in my children's
elementary school library.  What I found shocked me.  Not only did the
librarian not ever read to or teach the students, but each class was
reminded that they could only look at and check out the books from a few
shelves.  One set of shelves for first grade, another for second grade,
etc.  I found that the "librarian" was a former office clerk that wanted
an easier job and was put in the library.  I then looked into librarian
qualifications (not good) for that district and went to school myself.
However, we moved before I ever worked in that district, to one whose
requirements are considerably higher.  However, I still hear of librarians
who are doing basically the same thing, or maybe setting out books that
the students choose from instead of allowing them to go to the shelves, or
requiring them to only check out books that are on their reading level.
Does this seem like censorship to anyone else?  I know ALA has a statement
called "Free Access to Libraries for Minors: An Interpretation of the
Library Bill of Rights."  Isn't it something most school librarians agree
with and practice?  I would like to hear what the rest of you think.
Again, I will post a HIT of responses.

Sherida C. Steffen, Librarian
Rose Warren Elementary School
Las Vegas, Nevada