I have had requests to post a hit to the replies I received on how to
keep track what student is using which computer at what specific time.
1.  Acceptable Use Policy
2.  Computer station log that students had to sign each time they used
the station for anything--and a "supervisor" had to sign
3.  Students log in with their own password and user name. When each
child finishes at a computer, he ticks the box that gives him option to
shut down, etc. or log on as different user.
4.  Software called System Administrator for Macintosh--maybe something
similar for IBM
5.  Software package called I-Ware for Internet access. Instead of
assigning each machine an IP address manually, the software assigns them
temporarily as needed for Internet use/ Also tracks use and can print
logs including user names & sites.--This sounds good and I shall
investigate further!
6.  Clipboard at desk with date andf have students sign their name, the
time they get on the computer and the number of the computer. Students
must put down the time they leave the computer.
7.  Shop teacher drilled 4"x4" colored plexiglass squares which have
been bar coded and identified for each computer. They hang on a board
visible behind circulation desk. Students must check out the card and
have it visible at the computer where they are working.

Thank you all for, as always, your quick and helpful responses.  Renate
Hayum