--------------4918067809230AAA9BA42FDE

I am trying to help a history teacher design a research project
for next year's 8th graders on the Civil War.  I would like for
the reports (possibly in some multi-media format) to be organized
around a question that will help the students to do some evaluative
thinking.  As I am not a Civil War scholar, it is tough for me to
think of good questions.  Here is what I have come up with--
does anyone have any suggestions?  I want the students to write
a 5-8 page double space paper in which they take a position and
support it with research from both primary and secondary sources.
Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.  I'll post a HIT.

Civil War Research Project Questions

 =95 Was John Brown a hero or a cold-blooded murderer?
 =95 Compare and contrast the abolitionist movement of the Civil War era
and the crusades of the Middle Ages. (Our 7th graders do big research
projects on the Middle Ages)
 =95Who was a better general:  Robert E. Lee or Ulysses S. Grant?
 =95 Given the social constraints of the period, were women able to make
significant contribution to the war effort in either the North or the
South?
 =95 Given the social and legal constraints of the period, were people of
color able to make a significant contribution to the war effort in
either the North or the South?
 =95 as Uncle Tom=92s Cabin a realistic portrayal of slavery?
 =95 Which would have been worse--being wounded or captured?
 =95 To what extent is the movie Gone With the Wind an accurate portrayal
of Southern society during the Civil War era?
 =95Can you think of a non-violent solution to the conflicts that led to
the Civil War?  Describe your solution and convince the reader it could
have worked!
 =95 What motivated the Southern soldiers to fight against the North?
Were any of their motivations admirable?
 =95 What motivated the Northern soldiers to fight?  Were their
motivations all noble?

Again, thanks in advance.

Constance Vidor
Librarian