My original message asked for information or opinions on giving grades for
library in an elementary school where library is a scheduled class to cover
teacher prep periods, and the principal now wants grades to be given on
report cards, K-5.
Here is a summary of the responses.  I am combining when ideas are similar.
Sorry, I don't know how to do a hit without retyping everything, so I am
not quoting verbatim.

I used to give grades on report cards for 4th and 5th grades.  I graded
worksheets that they did for skill lessons, and projects.  i did not grade
behavior.  It is not any worse than grading for PE, music or art, but it is
not the ideal situation.
--
 The idea of giving grades indicates lack of understanding of purpose of
library.  Try to emphasize how the library is connected to the classroom

I give grades . They all get a behavior grade, and 3-6 get other grades
that teachers may or may not use.  My grades go to the teachers, with the
names of the activity or project.  Some teachers use the grades and some
don't.  Most teachers use the conduct grade for the report card.
--

Our K-5 classes are on fixed schedule, and we are required to give library
grades for 1-5.  I've been made to understand that no 2nd grader can get
lower than S in library.
For 5th graders, the grades were O,S,U until parents complained and grades
were changed to O,S and NI(needs improvemetnt)  I am in favor of library
grades on report cards because it gives parents some idea of importance of
library and info skills.  On the other hand, the kids could get grades for
library work that are then made part of a classroom grade.
--
Try and STOP it if you can.  I had to do this once and it was terrible.
--
This is a difficult question.  I believe the library skills we teach them
aren't really a "curriculum" but rather a tool to help them retrieve the
info they need for their classroom subjects.  Of cours, there is the
reading for enjoyment factor as well.  I tend to think there is a library
curriculum at the elem level and it becomes less so as the kids go through
school. There are many things to teach them that we can evaluate and assess
while in grade school.  For this reason, I like the idea of giving a grade
to elem aged kids and not to secondary.  It might help some who might not
otherwise to pay more attention and do their best because they know they
are being evaluated.
--
No! No! Library is NOT a "subject"!!!  It is a resource.  This is not like
Music, Art, Phys. Ed.  This is a PLACE, not a class!!!
--
Our state library coordinator gave a good reason for not giving library
grades.  Most library policies mention a "non-threatening environment", and
grades would create a threat.
--
I do not give grades.  Much of what I teach falls under the
Reading/English/Language Arts category and there is no separate area for
library grades as there is for Science, Music, etc.  Any grades I would
give would create more work for the classroom teacher to average them into
the classroom grades.  Also, a certain part of each period is spent on
circulation, and how does one grade for that?
  An advantage to giving grades is that children are more accountable for
themselves during Library.  They know their parents will see the results.
You might also find that you get more cooperation during research projects,
as there is now more of a purpose for doing them (get a good grade), and
that the rest of the staff treats you more like an equal. ... You must
develop a gradable curriculum, and grading criteria, as well as test, give
projects and mark all the stuff.  Your end result might be a better
curriculum overall, and more status with staff, parents and administration.