--------------FC5E266DD2BEC8E05CA5884D

A big THANK YOU to everyone who sent me answers on this query.  I was
thrilled with the postings!  Hope everyone who asked for them sees this
post...

--
Lorna McCloud
Coordinator of Information and Technology

--------------FC5E266DD2BEC8E05CA5884D

<HTML>
A big THANK YOU to everyone who sent me answers on this query.&nbsp; I
was thrilled with the postings!&nbsp; Hope everyone who asked for them
sees this post...
<BR>&nbsp;
<BLOCKQUOTE TYPE=CITE>
<PRE>100&nbsp; Man is a Thinker
200&nbsp; Man Believes
300&nbsp; Man is in Groups
400&nbsp; Man has a Language
500&nbsp; Man Explores the World around him
600&nbsp; Man does things
700&nbsp; Man (memory lapse!)
800&nbsp; Man writes his thoughts in stories, poems, etc
900&nbsp; Man exists in place and time
000&nbsp; Everything Else

By the way, using the Pizza Pie analogy (cut it into 10 pieces, then cut
each piece in 10, etc.) works great

--
Earl Sande, Upper School Librarian,
International School of Tanganyika,
United Nations Road,
Post Office Box 2651,
Dar es Salaam, Tanzania
(e-mail : sandes@wilken-dsm.com)</PRE>
</BLOCKQUOTE>
&nbsp;
<BLOCKQUOTE TYPE=CITE>
<PRE>Man thinks about himself
Man thinks about God
Man thinks about other people
Man learns to communicate through words.
Man learns to understand nature on the land, in the sea, and in the sky.
Man uses what he knows about nature
Man enjoys his leisure time
Mangives a record of man's heroic deeds
Man leaves a record for men of the future</PRE>
</BLOCKQUOTE>
&nbsp;
<BLOCKQUOTE TYPE=CITE>
<PRE>In A GUidebook for Teaching Library Skills, Book Two by Margaret V.
Beck, copyright1965, there is a chart that has what I think you are
looking for.

100&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Who am I?&nbsp; (Man thinks about himself)

200&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; WHo Made Me?&nbsp; (Man thinks about God)

300&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Who is the man in the next cave?&nbsp; (Man thinks about
other people)

400&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; How can I make that man understand me?&nbsp;&nbsp; (Man
learns to
communicate with others through words)

500&nbsp; How can I understand nature and the world about me?&nbsp; (Man learns to
understand nature on the land, in the sea, and in the sky)

600&nbsp; How can I use what I know about Nature?&nbsp; Primitive man learned
about fire and how to make weapons.&nbsp; Man through the ages learned about
the wheel, about medicine, planting crops, cooking food, building
bridges, and how to make all the things we use)

700 How can I enjoy my leisure time?&nbsp; By this time primitive man had
more time to do the things he enjoyed.&nbsp; He learned how to paint pictures
and to create music.&nbsp; He also learned how to dance and to play games.)

800&nbsp;&nbsp; How can I give to my children a record of man's heroic deeds?
(May became a storyteller.&nbsp; He creates sagas, fables, epics, poetry, and
plays about his ancestors and the people he knew.&nbsp; Later, man put these
into writing for all people to read.)

900How can I leave a record for men of the future?&nbsp; (So man began to
write about events that had occurred everywhere, and about people who
had participated in these events.)

000&nbsp;&nbsp; This just gives a general definition of what is in the 000's.

It says this was reprinted from School Library Journal, Feb., 1961.

I don't know whether this guide is still in print.&nbsp; I have had it for
years.

Hope this helps.

Sue Williams
Librarian
St. George's Day School
8250 Poplar Avenue
Germantown, TN 38138
swilliams@stgeorgesds.com</PRE>
</BLOCKQUOTE>
&nbsp;
<BLOCKQUOTE TYPE=CITE>
<PRE>>From Complete Library Skills Activities Programs: Ready-to-use Lessons for
Grades K-6 by Arden Druce.
100&nbsp;&nbsp; Who am I?-PHILOSOPHY AND PSYCHOLOGY (Man thinks about himself.)
200&nbsp;&nbsp; Who made me?-RELIGION (Man thinks about God.)
300&nbsp;&nbsp; Who is the man in the next cave?-SOCIAL SCIENCES (Man thinks about
other&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; people.)
400&nbsp;&nbsp; How can I make that man understand me?-PHILOLOGY (Man learns to
communicate with others through words.)
500&nbsp;&nbsp; How can I understand nature and the world about me?-SCIENCE (Man
learns to&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; understand nature on the land, in the
sea, and in the sky.)
600&nbsp;&nbsp; How can I use what I know about nature?-APPLIED SCIENCE AND USEFUL
ARTS&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; (Primitive man learned about fire and how to
make weapons. Man
through the&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; ages learned about the wheel, about
medicine, planting
crops, cooking&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; food, building bridges, and how
to make all the things
we use.)
700&nbsp;&nbsp; How can I enjoy my leisure time?-FINE ARTS AND RECREATION (By this
time,&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; primitive man had more time to do the
things he enjoyed. He
learned how to&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; paint pictures and to create
music. He also learned
how to dance and to&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; play games.)
800&nbsp;&nbsp; How can I give to my children a record of man's heroic
deeds?-LITERATURE&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; (Man became a storyteller. He
created sagas,
fables, epics, poetry, and&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; plays about his
ancestors and the people
he knew. Later, man put these&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; into writing for
all people to read.)
900&nbsp;&nbsp; How can I leave a record for men of the future?-HISTORY, GEOGRAPHY,
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; BIOGRAPHY&nbsp;
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; (So man began to write about events that had
occurred everywhere, adn
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; about people who had participated in these events.)
000&nbsp;&nbsp; GENERAL WORKS (The numbers up to 100 are used for bibliographies,
books&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; about books, adn for books which contain
information on many
subjects such&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; as encyclopedias and other
reference books.

Lee Ann Kee, Library Clerk&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
St. Richard's School
Indianapolis, IN
lkee@inct.net</PRE>
</BLOCKQUOTE>
&nbsp;
<BLOCKQUOTE TYPE=CITE>
<PRE>The explanation of the Dewey Decimal System that you refer to is
from "School Library Journal", February 1961.&nbsp; I have it reprinted in
a library skills book entitled _Guidebook for Teaching Library Skills;
Using the Dewey Decimal System_.&nbsp; This is Book 2 in a series by
Margaret V. Beck, published by T. S. Denison, 1965.&nbsp; If you send
me your snail mail address or FAX I'll send you a copy of those
pages.

grace ann hansen
Elementary Librarian
RIPON&nbsp; WI</PRE>
</BLOCKQUOTE>
&nbsp;

<P>&nbsp;

<P>&nbsp;
<BR>&nbsp;
<BR>&nbsp;
<BR>&nbsp;
<BR>&nbsp;
<BR>&nbsp;

<P>--
<BR>Lorna McCloud
<BR>Coordinator of Information and Technology
<BR>Jackson Elementary
<BR>Colorado Springs School District 11
<BR>lmccloud@clsp.uswest.net
<BR>&nbsp;</HTML>

--------------FC5E266DD2BEC8E05CA5884D--

listserv@listserv.syr.edu In the message write EITHER
    NOTE: Please allow time for confirmation from Listserv.
For more help see LM_NET On The Web: http://ericir.syr.edu/lm_net/