Dear LM_Netters -

I have "sold" a research unit to a teacher of Honors 10th graders in
U.S. History - It came to me as I was driving home from Florida over
Christmas break, over the Del. Mem. Bridge...what else was there to do
at sundown except navigate traffic and wish I'd had a longer
vacation..;-)

Last spring we were in Wilmington and toured the reconstruction of a
colonial ship, the Kalmar Nyckel.  I thought about how often we here in
New England focus on the pilgrims and Plymouth Rock, etc. and rarely
have much awareness of other colonial areas or the folks that settled
there beyond Williamsburg & Jamestown.  So...

*Assignment (in brief)*:
     Write a reaction to the statement that "myriad cultures have
influenced the founding and development of our nation.  For this reason,
the United States has been called the "melting pot"  (I have since
learned that "salad bowl" is more acceptable to many groups).
     At the completion of this...write a reaction...using facts...etc.

  You have left your home on one of the following 11 ships,  who are
   you, from  where, where do you settle, lifestyle (10 items like
   Sports & Rec., Courtship & marriage, dress, education, etc.)

Gather information (students are provided with Fact finding sheet where
they must "cram" into a very small space ("Take NOTES my darlings"
:-)..) all of the info that they have to collect AND cite sources (sorry
my darlings, we KNOW that you didn't know that before you started the
research ;-)...)

Then they have to round robin share to get info on all the otheer
areas...then write = comprehensive, well-thought out, etc....

ANYWAY......my question...

I've suggested to them that they search Yahoo-> regions->United States
(or Canada) ->state (or province) where the ship landed.  There,
depending on the state, is or is not a wealth of info on historic sites,
early history, geneology, living museums...some states have sites with
lots of info...the sites of others have eluded us ... especially Georgia
... we found a great Savannah site dealing with Ogelthorpe, but...little
luck.  And I know its out there, just hiding. ;-)

So....
If anyone out there is a history buff in MD, VA, MA, FL, DE, NC or SC,
NY, or Newfoundland or you are "up" on state websites which would give
us this type of colonial history, I'd be grateful if you could send 'em
along.

:-) I'm proud of the unit (IMHO) so if anyone is interested, I'd be
happy to fax the full sheet.  Feedback is always welcome, too!

TIA

Julie
--
Julie Hulten
East Haven High School

listserv@listserv.syr.edu In the message write EITHER
    NOTE: Please allow time for confirmation from Listserv.
For more help see LM_NET On The Web: http://ericir.syr.edu/lm_net/