Thanks to the many people who have answered by query...I received an
astounding amount of mail which I will summarize for my principal.(and
maybe quote ... "Gadzooks!" was a response I am particularly fond of...
:-)...) It will help me "take a stand", make a plan, and maybe turn this
into a "teachable moment".

Many expressed the same dismay that I felt when he posed the question
about doing textbook checkout from the LMC, and a number told me why
they either accepted (with resignation) or embraced the concept.

Among the positive points were:

*increased focus on the LMC,
*showcasing the LMC as a centralized place for all kinds of
    information (helps me with my campaign to get all AV software,
    etc. located centrally in the LMC),
*puts all book-type obligations in the same spot, can be done with the
    automation system,
*gives me "chips" to push for more support staff,
*a service to faculty and administration (again, bargaining chips),
*lets all students visit the LMC early in the year,
*allows LMC staff to hand out materials which students will require,
     such as, writing handbooks, library hours and procedures,
     bibliography formats, maps, etc.
*all students know who the LMC staff are,
*and probably a number that I forgot, since I'm writing this off the
     top of my head.

Again...thanks for your invaluable assistance, and the comments which
enabled me to see a bigger picture and hopefully make a decision based,
not on how beleagured I feel, but rather on how I want the place to
work, ultimately.  (And, (rueful face), it could all back-fire on me and
I could get stuck with a dirty job and no support. :-( ...)

Regards,

Julie
--
Julie Hulten
East Haven High School

listserv@listserv.syr.edu In the message write EITHER
    NOTE: Please allow time for confirmation from Listserv.
For more help see LM_NET On The Web: http://ericir.syr.edu/lm_net/