From: High Commander <sjp@EEE.ORG>
>I know I'm asking for it (again), but personally I can't think of any
>reason why a school (or anyone else for that matter) wouldn't purchase
>Mac G3s.  Now before all the PC users get huffy, let me just say that
>our "job,"  as I see it, is to prepare kids for the real world...

This attitude reminds me nothing more than that of the worst of
educational sales representatives who walk into our schools
and try to tell us what schools need "because we know best what
education needs".

Maybe before you tell schools what to buy you should ask
them what they need.  Every school isn't cut with the
same cookie cutter from the same dough.  Each and every
school has its own character.  The most important aspect
of a school is the teachers and students in that
school--the PEOPLE--and they are all unique and have
unique needs.

The first thing that biased computer sales folks (both of the
paid and unpaid variety) need to understand is that few
computers in schools are used to teach about computers.
Most computers are used AS TOOLS to teach and enhance the
curriculum.

The first step in purchasing a computer (or any other TOOL) is to
figure out what you want to do with the computer.  Why does it
seem to some to be such a novel thought to put the curriculum
needs and children's educational needs before personal brand bias?

The second step is to figure out what software you need to
install on your computer to enable you to better teach what
you need to teach.

The final--the very last--step is to buy the least expensive
computer that will run the software you have chosen.
(please note that "least expensive" doesn't mean "cheapest")

If on that final decision, you find that you need a Mac
to do what you need, then purchasing a Mac is fine.

On the other hand, you may very well find that a PC will
do everyhing you need.  It would be a foolish waste of
money to pay the high price for a Mac plus $100 for a PC
emulator when you can get an equivelant PC for a fraction of
that price.

Finally, if find that you need both platforms, then
you're very likely to save money if you buy some of
each platform rather than trying to emulate the tool
you really need.  You are certain to provide better value.
Software emulation provides poor peformance, severely limits
flexibility, and gives you access to none of the hardware
options available for the real tool.

Stephen E. Collins
http://web66.umn.edu/
sec@web66.umn.edu