Dear All,
     I LOVE THIS LISTSERV and I do know I'm shouting about it!
     This morning, I was reading two days' messages and saw the query about
a quotation which began "If we work upon marble, it will vanish..."
Because I was unfamiliar with it, I deleted the message.  Later, I came to
a message from Sally Lantz, giving us the URL for education quotations:
http://www.tcnj.org/resources/quotes/knowledge.htm
Being a quotation buff, I went to this site, and among other treasures, I
read the quotation that the person was looking for:

            "If we work upon marble, it will perish; if we work upon
            brass, time will efface it; if we rear temples, they will
            crumble into dust; but if we work upon immortal minds, if we
            imbue them with principles, with just the fear of God and love
            of our fellowmen, we engrave on those tablets something which
            will brighten all eternity."
                                                Daniel Webster

     What a wonderful example of the happy serendipity which is only one of the
advantages available to us through LM_Net.
                                            Sandy

Sandy Grasfield, Librarian
Kennedy Middle School
Natick, MA 01760