Dear LM_Netters:

A week or so ago, I wrote looking to confirm the fact that Gertrude
Chandler Warner had died.  I had a child looking to write her a letter.

I received messages from all over the US (AK, MO, RI, AZ, AR, CT,
MI....) verifying the fact that she had died in 1979 at the age of 89!
Ms. Warner spent over 30 years as an elementary school teacher in
Putnam, Connecticut and wrote several children's books during that time
and over 15 after her retirement.  "She was a popular and creative
teacher, wrote four adult books and a dozen works of nonfiction for
children, as well as contributing to magazines and newspapers." (Kirkus
Assoc, 1997)  There is also a new book about her called, _Gertrude
Chandler Warner and the Boxcar Children_ by Mary Ellen Ellsworth (1997)
and another entitled: _Gertrude Chandler Warner_ by Joan Wallner (1996).

Her Box Car series continues to be produced by other writers. I even
received names of a couple of them, too!   I want to thank all the folks
who responded to my inquiry AND to set the record straight on the
existence of Warner's progeny.  In my hurry to read through my messages,
I missed a (?) that someone wrote next to the name of one of the ghost
writers thinking that she was the daughter (?) of Gertrude C. Warner. In
the matter of nanoseconds, I had perpetuated this myth to many of you.
I want you all to know that Vivian Schurfranz is not related to Ms.
Warner in any way but wishes she was;-)  She is only one of the authors
who has written the newer Box Car books. As far as I can tell, Ms.
Warner had NO children and may not have been married. I'm sorry to say I
don't have either of the above-mentioned books to reference.

I'm sorry I rushed through my email and didn't catch this at once. I
apologize to all of you who I mis-informed.

Thanks again for everyone's input!

Jody Newman
Library Aide
Center School