Dear LM_Netters :

Thanks to all of you who responded to my query! It
seems I am not the only one who has been puzzling over this. Below I
will try to distill all the info I received into some logical form -
there were so many replies that it would unwieldy for me to include
every one.

As to where people store their videotapes: People were almost
equally divided between intershelving and separate storage. Those of
you who intershelved all gave the same reason - that it makes sense
to treat videos simply as "information in yet another form," and
include them alongside books. Those of you who did not intershelve
cited three main reasons  - first was the matter of security;
secondly, the difficulty of keeping intershelved materials
neat; and thirdly, sometimes teachers come in looking for "a video to
show" and separate shelving makes it easier for them to look through
what the library owns.

For the more complicated issue of cataloging locally recorded tapes
that have more than one program on them, EVERYONE was adamant about
making sure that a patron could  access each title easily.
Suggestions varied on how to do this. When I sat down to prepare this
HIT, I was intending to summarize all of the suggestions I received
into something succinct, but after a few stabs at it I realized that
it really wouldn't serve to do this - after all, I considered just
about every suggestion I got in formulating my policy ( a policy
which I am very pleased with - THANK YOU ALL!). So... I thought you
guys ought to have as much info as possible. Some of the ideas were
unsuitable for my system, but might work for you. Below are excerpts
from the most useful replies:

...I catalog the off-air video tapes according to the first program
on the tape as the main entry.  Using Follett cataloging, you can add
additional titles for programs 2, etc.  If you then use Follett's
Search Plus, it should still access program #2, etc. when you search
under title .When you are cataloging, describe "briefly" all 2-3
programs under Contents orSummary in the catalog format, labeling
each independently, i.e.: #1:Pyramid : relates the building....etc.,
#2 U.S. Constitution : focuses on ...., #3 Art History, etc.There's
no other way to assign Dewey #s except for the first program on the
tape.  And that's what I do.  So, users can search exact title, but
also subject, as long as you put in extra subject headings in your
cataloging...

...wouldn't it work if I made the Dewey number  something
like an encyclopedia (030.x) for general information, used Locally
Recorded Videotape No. xxx as the title so I could get it into
Follett, and then did added entries for each of the titles on the
tape?  Sort of like what we do for short story anthologies for which
we want each short story to show up in the catalog.  Or ...
I could treat each show as a separate entry, with a separate barcode,
Dewey, and title, just making sure I included a local code (AV xxx) in
the title so I could locate it.  I would have to make a note on each
show's record that Show ABC (Barcode xxx/AV xxx) and Show DEF (Barcode
xxx/AV xxx) were on the same tape as Show GHI so that if someone
wanted to take out the tape AV xxx, we could instantly check the
computer to see if the barcodes for the other shows on the same tape
were available.  One thing I do like about this system is that each
show's Dewey shows up with all the other holdings of the same Dewey if
we're doing a bibliographic search by Dewey. Or ...I could keep a
Rolodex of available show titles by prime and secondary Dewey number
with their tape number (i.e., title) on the Rolodex card. That way
patrons could search manually for possibilities, check the computer
for availability by title (Locally Recorded Videotape No. xxx), and
go from there...

... I do quick cataloging for each title, even if there is more than
one title on the tape.  I assign a Dewey number, use the title as the
main entry, put the length ofthe title in the collation, add a short
annotation, and assign a couple of subject headings.  I also use the
curriculum correlation field (207) to assign each title to one or
more academic departments.  I use this to generate customized lists
of videos for departments.  I also note when the tape must be erased
and the titles of any other videos on the same tape.  I also use the
date entered field so when I send a list of new videos to the
faculty, I can do a search of just those videos added since my last
update...

...I have a friend who simply puts more than one barcode on the video
--she uses a separate barcode # for each program and checks out the
video using the correct barcode for the program that the teacher
wants.  I am afraid my student aides would never do that correctly!
She can, however, track the use of each individual program.  She does
a catalog entry for each program...

... I don't put more than 1 on a tape but you could at least put the
same type of program and then give it a subject heading that is
close.  Say SCIENCE or ANIMALS for instance.  I also keep an notebook
in the AV room with a list of all the AV we have.  I put it in
sections like Language Arts, Science, etc. Most of the teachers look
at it instead of the card catalog and I try to keep it very up to
date...

...In the MARC record put the first title in 245 tag _a.   Then put
in your _h [videorecording].  Then put a ; .  Then in _b put the
second title and semi-colon and the next title, a semi-colon and the
next, etc.  But you're not done.  Go the bottom of the record and in
740 additional entries title put the second title.  Add more 740s and
more titles until every title has its own title entry.  Now your
students can find the tape by title searches on any title...

...Currently we are putting each program on a separate tape and then
assigning it a number: i.e.-100, 101 ect.  Then we have a list that we
provided each staff member.  They ask for each video by title and
number...

...It sounds as if you keep the two types of tapes separate.  If you
do would DDCing the professional ones and acquisition numbering home
made ones work?  Your multiple titles would each carry the accession
number only as a locator.  You will probably be deleting a lot of
this stuff as well...

So.. perhaps you are wondering what I decided to do. My newly
revised policy appears below. It is designed around the financial
necessity of putting several programs on a single tape, the necessity
of accessing tapes by title or subject but not necessarily by Dewey,
and allows me to run a complete videotape listing (by running a Series
bibliography) for anyone who wants to know "what videos we have." We
have also committed to keeping tapes in a cabinet, rather than
intershelving them. We, too,  have found that tapes make the
shelves look ragged and besides, teachers often come in here "looking
for a tape." I am using Follett Circ Plus, by the way:

For Locally Recorded Videotapes

In the MARC record :
        Title field (245) - title or first title goes in _a tag. Other
titles go in _b tag, separated by semicolons.  I insert
[Videorecording] in _h tag.
        In Series field, I insert Videotape Collection (for running my list)
        740 field (additional titles) - I input each title in _b tag of
title field as an additional title.
        I then assign subject headings to cover all programs on tape.
        My local call number is a three digit number, plus the letters LRV
for Locally Recorded Videotape - i.e. 001 LRV. This piece of the
process was sticky. I know it may require an extra step to keep track
of what LRV number I am up to when I input new tapes. My assistant
and I talked and talked about this. Other possibilites were using
Dewey designation for first program on tape (in this case LRV tapes
would just be interspersed among the commercial ones in the cabinet),
or creating some kind of date-inspired number so that you would never
have to check a list to see what number you were up to (i.e. tape
recorded on March 11, 1998 would be 31198 or some such thing.) In the
end, the three digit number seemed the simplest to file. In terms
of Dewey #'s vs. LRV #'s, we decided it might be a good thing to have
all the LRV's shelved next to one another in our cabinet (Easier
to check tapes to see if any were past their taping rights date,
etc.) So, the three digit LRV number won out.

So - there it is... And  I couldn't have done it without you guys!
Thanks to everyone who responded to me. Any questions,
feel free to email.

Robin Dorsty, Librarian
Pierson High School, Sag Harbor New York 11963
shdorsro@sagharbro.k12.ny.us