--part0_889795004_boundary

From: MRRICCI88 <MRRICCI88@aol.com>
To: dreed@elem.california.k12.mo.us
Subject: Re: Target: ELEM: The Giver
Date: Wed, 11 Mar 1998 14:52:29 EST

Dear Debbie,
I have the book in my library.  Our school system just this year went to the
"middle school" concept and I now have grades K-5 like you.  The Giver had
been used by 6th grade classroom teachers.

In my opinion, you can't go wrong with Lois Lowry.  Also, I am a believer in
Reader Response.  I often think of the books that I read when I was in
elementary school (including Death Be Not Proud, Diary of Anne Frank, Lindburg
Baby Kidnapping, Call of the Wild, to name a few):  books borrowed from public
libraries, but books I may not have had access to if the same kind of thinking
prevailed in public libraries.  When I was in elementary school, actually, we
did not have libraries.

The theme of the story may be somewhat sophisticated, but I certainly wouldn't
want someone deciding that the subject matter is too mature for elementary
level students.  If the students enjoys reading the book, so be it!

I think your teachers should be more worried about what students see on T.V.
(not excluding commercials) than the appropriatness of The Giver.  And, to
tell you the truth, I'd rather they read virtually anything rather than those
dumbed-down textbooks!

I'd be interested to know what others think!

Roberta Ricci, LMS
Smithfield, R.I.
MRRicci88@aol.com

--part0_889795004_boundary--