Hello LM_Netters,

Would you please help me?

Our school is working on a plan to upgrade, which means getting new
workstations which are faster, have more memory, and are capable of
supporting Windows 95.

We have 6 workstations (most 486s with 2x CD-ROM, most w/12 meg.), an
additional computer used for instruction attached to a comptuer monitor,
and a circulation dedicated computer all within a classroom sized LMC.

I was just kind of bothered when a sample plan was presented to
administration by our technician and NO mention was made of
upgrading/improving the computers in the LMC--yes, I was right there
with the technician. I get along very well with him; we plan for
school-wide technology, work together each week (he's there once a
week). I am even sysop backup person. Yes, I spoke up to administration
about including the LMC in the upgrade, but somehow felt that I needed
to be ready to convince staff next week.  And yes, we currently have a
plan that called for upgrading at one computer in the LMC this year.

H O W  C A N  Y O U  H E L P??????

Please, send me rationales as to why the LMC should get upgraded/better
machines when the emphasis seems to be mainly on classrooms. Try to
think of convincing other staff members to its benefits.

I did say we needed to get faster/better machines to support some
software used for students doing research. I'd also like to make
Multimedia Presentations a part of what the LMC can offer students when
working on projects. I continue to emphasize the Big6.
And, teachers can receive training from me on software if the LMC
computers CAN support
the program.

PS I'm looking into Multimedia Software packages. I'd like to have
students create multimedia presentations in conjunction with the
research they have done. We are a k-6 school. I need something powerful,
but children friendly. I need to help students become independent
learners and thinkers and creators.

I'd appreciate any advice on just wonderful multimedia software programs
that have worked for you.

Will post a hit.

Thank you,

Rita McKillip, LMS