Hi, folks.

I would like to develop and post a page focusing specifically on excellent
California K-12 library/LMC Web pages.  My intent is to use it to illustrate
the ways in which such pages contribute specifically to meeting curriculum
needs within schools.  (My audience for this is California policymakers,
hence the focus on California at this time.  But others who would like to
participate are welcome, too.)

To that end, I would like to ask each of the California members to send me
the URL of a single Web page (whether the main page or a specific one within
a site) that he or she believes to be exemplary, to summarize the purpose of
the page in a sentence or two, and to state in a sentence or two why it is
excellent.  If the page was prepared by the school librarian, fine, but that
is not necessary as long as it is recognized as being part of the school's
presence online and as serving a curriculum-related purpose.

By the way, if the page involves information on the school's own in-house
resources (library books and other materials) selected or categorized for
their use in classes, for student projects, or suchlike, that is fine (and
in fact would be a good thing).  I don't want to limit the scope just to
pages of links to Internet resources.

NOTE: send to me at kumbach@unlimited.net, NOT to the list (LM_Net).

I'll organize the results into a Web page, which I'll either post at my site
or at the California Research Bureau's "working papers" site.  Once it is
completed (which might take a few weeks or more, depending on response, as I
have to fit it into my odd hours -- other projects are pending, too), I'll
post a notice to the list.  There is an off chance that, if the response is
sufficient, I can turn the results into a formal paper or an article for
publication.  But I won't know about that until I see what I get.

This could be a nice showcase for what LMCs are doing along these lines.

By the way, I am still eager to hear from folks who would like to share
their ideas on technical support needs, issues, and best practices.  The
comments received so far have been very valuable, but there is room for
plenty more.

Thanks!

Ken
--
Kenneth W. Umbach, Ph.D., Policy Analyst
California Research Bureau, California State Library