Netters:
Lots of you responded to and agreed with me about the idea for a PET
magazine, the girls' magazine (and there were two suggestions already in
publication), and other ideas as well. (I did not include your names unless
they were mentioned within the post as per our discussion on privacy).

 I'm posting all our ideas and hope that some publishers will take the bait.
. . !  THANK YOU to all of you - there are some good ideas here! Some of you
suggested BOOKS - see those ideas in the next post (due to length).

Here's the list of responses (the original post has > indications, the

>A monthly PET MAGAZINE with articles geared to the ELEMENTARY AGE - with
>tips on pet care and responsibility, each month featuring a different
breed. . .

***Super idea, and I could go for this one at Middle school level, too. I get
asked for pet books so frequently and it's just impossible for us to have
as many books as we could use in this area. The "breeder" (Cat Fancy, etc.)
magazines are way too technical for kids.

> By the way, wouldn't it be better to have Black History month in January
>when we celebrate Martin Luther King Jr.'s birthday? - Just a thought. . .
>Especially since February already has Presidents' Day and Valentine's Day!

***Great ideas!!!  You've got my vote, especially for the presidents series
[Note: see the post on books following] and the magazines!

***Love the pet and teen magazine ideas, and yes Black History Month should be
moved to January.

*** I love your idea on the Pets magazine.

***A magazine on computers and the Internet for intermediate grade-middle
school students.

>A TEEN magazine for GIRLS that DOESN'T focus in on clothes, make-up, dating
>and sex. Instead, articles on sports, crafts, book corner, colleges,
>adventures, cooking, sewing, gift-making, photography, hobbies/collections,
>community service, health and fitness, etc. Several articles per issue
>should feature real teens.

***(AND A SUGGESTION:)
 I read your post and agree with all of your "wants" for the publishers.  I
was curious, however, to know if you've seen "Bluejean"
magazine for girls.  It's published locally, so I've seen
lots of publicity for it,  I thought it was too difficult
for our elementary students, but it seems to fit the profile
you listed.

***Here's one; a magazine for girls!! (not those who only aspire to be
teenage fashion plates, and are only interested in how to apply make-up).
It is New Moon, about girls, written and edited by girls and includes
poetry, stories, art by girls, features on girls from different countries,
careers, etc.  It's really what (I think) girls should be reading, but it
will take some selling in your setting.

***There are a couple of these in English, but there certainly aren't any in
SPANISH. I desperately need a good magazine for teen girls in Spanish that
will promote their strength and creativity and get them out of nail polish
and mascara mode.

***Great ideas on animals, teen mags, etc.  Especially wanted, teen magazines
and computer and internet magazines that don't have inappropriate ads or
want ads, P.O. boxes for questionable correspondence.

***Does anyone know of a magazine about cars, hot rods, and / or all terrain
vehicles that would appropriate for 3rd thru 6th graders?  I am tired of
the advertising in Hot Rod and Car and Driver, and yet the kids love them.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.  TIA.

***I'd like to see the return of Hot Rod, Jr. which only published several
issues;  also other sports related magazines geared to the younger reader.

***I agree with Karen.  Today's young children want to read magazines that
have great photos are cars, trucks, hot rods, etc.  But the ads in the
adult magazines on these topics are so inappropriate for an elementary
library setting.  Quality high interest/ lower reading level materials are
much needed items.

***I want a magazine that just has pictures of the most popular things to
draw.  Not how to draw them, just the pictures.  You may get the same
requests:  a unicorn, a black leopard, an easy landscape, the  Space
Needle, etc.

***I endorse all of your ideas - why didn't I think of them??

Again - thanks to all of you for your great ideas! The book post follows.

Joanne Ladewig
Information Center Director
Fairgrove Academy
(a K-8 public school focusing on the Visual and Performing Arts, and Technology)
La Puente, CA
jladewig@ns700-1.enet.hlpusd.k12.ca.us     (all lower case)
home email: shatz@lightside.com