Netters:
Here are the ideas you sent me about books you'd like to see in print, or
updated.

BOOKS:
***Books about cars, motorcyles, monster trucks, skate boarding, drag racing,
the military and military vehicles, etc. with a 3-4th grade reading level.
Lots of pictures and white space and in a larger format than the Capstone
series.

***Books on some of the more exotic pets, again on a 3-4th grade reading
level--cockatiels, rats, ferrets, boa constrictors and other snakes,
tarantulas, lizards, mice. Some of these are starting to show up but I
would like to still see more.

***Non-fiction books on raccoons (I can't find any, which surprises me).  I
know of one factual book on jaguars, I would like others. I have just
spotted a new title on black bears but would like other choices.  I see
quite a few choices on bears in general but not specifically black bears,
and children prefer to find a book which is targeted to their specific
interest.

***Books on explorers written on a 3-4th grade reading level.  What is
currently available is too difficult for many of our fifth graders.

***I need a book about languages in several different countries:  how to
count to 10, the alphabet, common words.  I have looked forever and
haven't found one.  Also, I have a need for just more easy foreign
language books.

***I would like biographies of Hypatia and Meville Dewey sutiable for second
to sixth grades.

>And a set of PRESIDENT BIOGRAPHIES suitable for first through third grade  -
>the other sets available are just overwhelming for the primary students (the
>series are usually indicated for 5th grade and above), yet many of my
>primary teachers (including kindergarten) are asking for picture books/easy
>biogs on presidents, especially in February in conjunction with
>Presidents' Day.

***Great ideas!!!  You've got my vote, especially for the presidents series
and the magazines!

***Books featuring major league sports teams for 1st and 2nd graders.  Reading
level doen't have to be quite this low, but lots of color pictures.  Ditto
for books on the military, cars, trucks, motorcycles, etc.

***I, too, would like more easy-to-read materials on most elementary topics.
Even though a topic is in the 4th or 5th grade curriculum, it doesn't mean
that all students read at this level.

>While I'm at it, how about those old Gertrude Warner hardcover "Boxcar
>Children Mysteries" book covers?  Those covers are AWFUL!

***Ditto for the "Three Investigators series in Spanish, and while we're at
it, we need LOTS more middle grade fiction in Spanish--not just
translations of English books--we need genuine stories from authors who
know the various Spanish-speaking cultures. if we want these kids to read,
we need to offer them something worth reading. If we want them to read in
ENGLISH, then we need to build reading skills while they're still using
Spanish materials so that they have something to transfer over when they
begin to use English. There's a big gap in the literature for Spanish
speakers. You have to be an elementary student or a fluent Spanish-reading
high school or college student who likes literature before there is
anything for you to read. Middle graders are left out completely in the
area of popular fiction.

***And....how about making "Eyewitness" books with better bindings?

***or new attractive covers for Beverly Cleary and Matt Christopher too?

***and how about putting a plot summary on Nancy Drew hardcovers so you can
tell whether you've read the thing??

This completes the post. THANKS for all your input!  Let's hope the
publishers are listening!

Joanne Ladewig
Information Center Director
Fairgrove Academy
(a K-8 public school focusing on the Visual and Performing Arts, and Technology)
La Puente, CA
jladewig@ns700-1.enet.hlpusd.k12.ca.us     (all lower case)
home email: shatz@lightside.com