Hello LM_NETTERs,

My school district has been cursed with an internet filter called Bess.  We=
 didn't ask for it, our Internet provider decided that one was needed.  Sin=
ce the implementation of this filter, some of the teachers that were just b=
eginning to use the Internet in their classes are becoming frustrated and d=
eciding that the Internet isn't worth the hassle. =20

Even those websites that are presented at conferences and found in some of =
the professional journals are sometimes blocked.  Just recently two of the =
teachers (Am. History and Business) went to a Conference about integrating =
the Internet into the curriculum.  They found sites they wanted to show oth=
er teachers upon returning but was denied access to sites via Bess.  This h=
as happened before with a flyer put out by T.H.E. Journal.  Quite a few of =
the sites were blocked from the flyer.  You can request that I site be re-r=
eviewed but that can take a min of 2 weeks to get a response back and even =
then you are not guaranteed that the site will be unblocked. =20

For instance myself and the other Librarian in the district have been tryin=
g since Jan. to get the archives of LM_NET and other listserves supported b=
y ERIC unblocked with no success.  Their reply is:=20

        This site contains areas where people can post public messages immediately=
.  They are not

        pre-screened for profane or offensive material, so they are blocked due to=
 that risk. =22

For three years prior to Bess the school had no blocking software.  The stu=
dents signed an AUP and they had to ask to be put on the Internet.  With th=
e use of Network Administrator, I could  view the screens of all the comput=
ers thus allowing me to quietly monitor internet access.  The only time thi=
s done is when you suspected the student is doing something they shouldn't =
and you want to see what they are doing without having them clearing the sc=
reen.  This worked fine.

My question to you all is are any of you using Bess?  If so how is it worki=
ng out for your students and teachers when they are doing research on the I=
nternet

Any help that could be given would be greatly appreciated.

Deanna Schumm

Librarian

Huron High School

Deanna_Schumm=40Huron-City.k12.oh.us