LM_Net members:

Here are the answers to my query regarding how to identify students who
have permission to access the Internet independently  -- have received
training and have the paperwork on file.
Thank you everyone.
I have just found out that the company that does all of the student
portrait packages and provides IDs also has a holographic sticker
available.  I learned this from another librarian in my district whose
school uses that sticker as their proof of Internet contract on file.
The sticker will NOT just peel off;  any attempt to do so simply
irreversibly trashes the sticker.  They will not replace stickers; if a
student trashes his, that's tough.  The company we use is called
LifeTouch.
We put a sticker on photo ID cards to indicate parental approval.  I
worried about the stickers being removed.  However, we use good tape over
the sticker which wraps around the card.  One student did remove the
sticker, but it was very obvious.   At least, that is all we have found.
We do keep records of who has permission.
We are looking at this, too. Our students receive a photo ID and their
barcode for the media center is on the back. We are thinking about
putting the sticker on the front so the photo would be visible. We are
looking at a 'one-of-a-kind' type of sticker from an obscure place so the
students can not duplicate. If they peel it off they can't use the
Internet.
Our school is very small (<200) so the booking problem is less ... we
issue an internet "license" to students with written permission from
parent, and student signed agreement for appropriate use. These are just
brightly colored laminated cards. The card must be visible when the
student is on line. We keep the record in our student database so we can
check - but the bottom line is no card, no access, even if we have record
of permission.   If you use a sticker plan - no sticker would mean no use
allowed. That would eliminate the  roblem of removed stickers. They've
just given up their privlege. If you have different colored stickers for
different use level, then you can easily upgrade student by changing the
sticker. We have a replacement cost policy - 1st replacement is $1.00,
subsequent replacements cost more.
Our students are required to have a picture ID on the computer anytime
they are on the Internet.  The ID is the school student ID and we put a
sticker on the I.D. that shows they are Internet certified (have been
through the training and have an AUP on file).

The first year we did this, the stickers were put on before the ID's were
laminated.  Therefore that worked great.  This year, couldn't do that and
the ID's have the stickers on the outside with a piece of scotch tape
over the top.  For the most part, this has worked.  We have had a few
instances where stickers were stolen and some instances where stickers
were traded (which makes no sense).  Not a perfect system by any means,
but working for the most part.
Our high school is using a shaped (can't remember what shape) hole punch
to punch a hole in the id card.
We are a high school of 2000 students in grades 10,11 and 12.  Our
students have an internet access sticker on the back of their school ID
card.  So far we have had no problems with stickers peeling off because
the glue on the sticker is so adhesive that the sticker tears if you try
to take it off.  If a student looses their internet access because they
have broken the code of conduct,
we have to draw black over the top of the sticker with permanent marker
because it won't come off.  This has worked well for us - the students
clip their ID card to a clothes pin on the internet computers while they
are using Netscape.
We use red stickers on top of the students' laminated IDs.  I guess they
can be peeled off but so far not trouble.  Why would they do that?  They
need the sticker to be able to use the Internet.  If the sticker is lost,
we do have a list of those approved for the use (and the sticker) I do
not think a peeled-off sticker could be transferred becuase it would not
stick.  Unless the ID is stolen--and so far we have not had a problem
with that--I assume none would be peeled off.
We punch the round, red stickers with a star-shaped punch before use, to
avoid counterfeits.
We just use a special punch (shaped like a bare foot) and punch a hole in
the ID card for those that are allowed to use the computers.  From a
mother's point of view, it is best to punch the hole and then laminate it
so when the inevitable happens and the card goes through the
wash it will not get soggy. This would also keep the kids from being able
to punch a hole in their own card.
I am on the technology committee at our school.  We are also debating the
same question.  Stickers were not well received as an idea, because of
the peel-off possiblitity.  Someone has suggested using a special hole
punch, someone else that we laminate over the stickers so they cannot be
tampered with.
At my school, we use a sticker on the student's ID card that when peeling
is attempted, the sticker tears.  The sticker is printed with "Internet".
It has proven to work quite satisfactorily.
I attached a xeroxed picture of a computer on the back of my student's ID
card, taping it down with booktape.  They have held up very well on the
cards that have not been lost!  I have students sign-in with their ID.  I
keep the card until they are finished, then return it.
We've had stickers printed that look like a diskette.  When a student's
AUP form is complete and on file we place a sticker on their ID.  So far,
so good.  Students and parents must sign an Internet use contract and
Internet sticker is put on their school ID.  Yes, it can be peeled off--
and maybe next year I'll come in early to registration days and put them
on before cards are laminated-- but it serves the purpose of basically
putting students and parents on notice of our seriousness about proper
use of Internet in school.  I think it works here--must also be used in
any computer classrooms as well as Library etc.
How about using a "special" punch? One that has a shape other than a
circle! If there's space on the card, I would suggest along the upper
edge, so that it can be seen when the ID card is placed on the keyboard
or on top of the monitor.
We put a sticker on photo ID cards to indicate parental approval.  I
worried about the stickers being removed.  However, we use good tape over
the sticker which wraps around the card.  One student did remove the
sticker, but it was very obvious.   At least, that is all we have found.
We do keep records of who has permission.
When our students have returned the parent permission slip and gone
thrugh the training, they receive a sticker that goes on their photo ID.
It does not peel off, in fact the company from whom we purchased them
sends a special tool for removing them if a student loses the privilege.
The company's name is McLoon Metalgraphics in Lacrosse, WI.  they
designed a special sticker with our school's initials and the cost was
$380.00 for 1000.  I think there was an initial cost to for creating the
design.
Relaminate the ID after the sticker is applied, that will prevent any
problems of peeling stickers, and prevent students who get their hands on
stickers from being able to search independently.
We have done this at our two high schools in my district.  After students
and their parents sign our AUP, we then place a small sticker on their ID
card so all staff can verify.  We have had some problems with stickers
coming off (it is unbelievable how many students run their ID cards
through the wash!), but we didn't want anything permanent -- if a student
violates the AUP, the teacher can scratch off the sticker, so other
teachers or staff will not let the student on the net.

We keep a signature card on file, and mark their record in our school
student database, so if the student loses or damages his ID card, we can
replace the sticker. By the way, this sticker is similar to the same
sticker they receive if they pay their ASB dues.  We had the same printer
supply the different stickers.  One last word of advice:  Place the
sticker on the same side of the ID card as the picture.  We placed ours
on the back, so staff always has to turn the card over.
We use little round red stickers (that the librarian initials) on the
back of their school id, however, it would take very little effort for a
student to get his/her own little red sticker and initial it.  I would
suggest something that is not reproducible.  We have made little
"pockets" on all internet computers for students to display their id.
Our school purchased a unique hole punch and we are punching the
student's ID when the AUP has been signed.  The student's punched ID card
has to be displayed at all times when using the Internet.  We are not
allowing unsupervised "surfing" for any student.
(We actually bought 3 different hole punches so we can use a different
shape for each of the 3 years the student is at our school.)   So far,
it's working great.
If you are accessing the Internet via a network then simply do not give
the student rights to the browser until they get their AUP in and receive
training.  ie: setup an "Internet Group" (via either Novell or NT) and
even the librarians can add a student to the group when they are
authorized.
And... if they student is caught violating the policy, take them out of
the group.
In our district, the stickers are virtually indestructable. They are
simple, with the words "Internet Approved" in black on a high gloss
sticker. I'm not sure where we had them printed, but they won't wash off
of the ID cards. I've sent mine through the wash several times. (Whoops.)
The only problem I've seen with them is when you have to revoke internet
access, they are really hard to peel off.
How about the type of sticker used to tag physical assets? These are very
difficult to peal off.

Gail Szeliga
gms19@juno.com
Union Endicott High School