At the risk of beating a dead horse I've decided to join in this thread.
While I may not be as articulate as some who have "spoken" before me, I feel
so strongly about this that I must write, even if I say nothing new and do not
say it well.

I think the problem with this "controversy" is that both sides are right.
(Not all that unique as controversies go!)  I feel that I am in a position to
see and speak for both sides.  I am currently a candidate for my Masters
Degree and a library assistant in a public library.  My job responsibilities
are in tech services, circulation and the children's dept. but all my passion
is for children's services.  In addition, for four years I helped to run the
library at my children's elementary school because the school district had
(shortsightedly) eliminated the librarian position.  Then when they finally
reinstated it they hired one librarian for four schools (3 elementary and the
middle school).  This year two teachers share the 4 schools.  Progress but
we're not there yet.  Important to note:  there are not now and there were not
then any aides.  Parents were solely responsible for the library--book
selection, weeding, processing, clerical etc.  As you can imagine there was no
teaching going on--just reader and reference guidance and storytime.  Without
us there would have been no library experience at all.  As I said earlier, now
I work in a children's room in a public library with only one library science
course under my belt so far.  I am not a trained librarian (yet).  I always
tell a patron (child or adult) when I do not know the answer and do not know
how to find it.  But from on the job experience I know an awful lot.  I can
make recommendations for reluctant and avid readers.  I understand reading
levels.  I know how to use indices and our PAC to its greatest advantage.
Hell, yes there is a lot I still need to learn...But what I've learned through
life experience, reading professional journals and this listserv counts for a
lot.  Let's all work together and forget this we/they mentality.  There is a
place for everyone.. Once I am degreed I will be better educated but I will be
the same dedicated person I was prior to the addition of initials after my
name.

Absolutely, administrators must realize the importance of degreed librarians.
Absolutely, library and information skills are the keys to our children's
futures.  But let's not waste any more time dissing those who are doing what
they can with the resources they have.

Thanks for listening/reading.

Nancy Riemer Kellner
Senior Library Assistant, Shrewsbury Public Library
Masters candidate, URI Library and Information Systems

NKellner@aol.com