Thank you, Allan O'Grady Cuseo for your articulate assertion
of the value of professionalism in school libraries!  I have
been sorry to see that a number of Library assistants/aides/
paraprofessionals appear to interpret a stance in favor of
professionalism as a personal attack.   I have no doubt that
there are many library aides who work hard and contribute
valuable services to their schools.  However, I still believe that
children deserve professional school librarians just as much
as they deserve professionally trained classroom teachers.  School
Boards will chip away at quality any way they can in response to
the admittedly formidable political pressures to cut costs.   This
issue is larger than the personal experience of individual people.
It's a philosophical issue with very real practical consequences
in terms of the quality of educational experience that children
receive.

May I suggest that people who find themselves "embarassed" or "hurt"
by this discussion simply exercise their option to delete messages
with "Library Aide" on the subject line without reading the content?

Best to all,

Constance Vidor
Librarian
The Cathedral School