Roselle Weiner mentioned a problem she had with African-American.  I also
received a shipment from them last year after I had specifically told the
caller that I did not accept previews.  It arrived the last day of school.
I immediately called for a return label.  No label.  Called again in July.
Still no return label.  UPS strike.  Called again.  Finally got a return
label.  Shipped it back in October or so. (Mind, I had never even opened
the box). Got an invoice in April.  Called again.  Apparently it was an
answering service--each time I called I was singularly unimpressed by the
person on the phone.  The April call made me wonder if the operator was
indulging in some illegal substances!  So, at the moment I think I'm
finished with this episode--but since it took 6 months for them so send an
erroneous invoice, I may never get this one off my back.

I think from now on I will not only refuse previews, I will tell the caller
that any materials sent will be considered gifts.  Hopefully that will keep
them away!  It is too bad that one or two bad experiences make us so wary.
There are a number of vendors who readily provide return shipping, accept
no for an answer, and have intelligent, well-informed staff members.

Anne

Anne C. Oelke, Librarian
Cambria-Friesland School District
P.O. Box 1000, Cambria, WI. 53923