<< His response was what really got to me as he said in so
 many words that "Once the person has the teachers all trained in the use of
 the technolgy that they (the teachers) will be the ones to get that
 information to the students"!! >>

Heidi,
     Don't give up.  I agree absolutely that LMS must have an active, primary
role in teaching students to use information technology and to be effective
information seekers.  Too often we walk away from this type of situation when
we need to be an advocate for our profession.  I would make an appointment
with this principal as a concerned member of the community. I would go armed
with the AASL/AECT Information Literacy Standards for Student Learning,
Loertscher's new book [Reinvent Your School's Library In the Age of
Technology]; quotes from the SCANS report; etc. and be prepared to document
the skills and knowledge that students need to be information literate.  I
would be pleasant and positive but I believe administrators do not know what
the implications are when they make these decisions.  Most technology literacy
curriculums focus on application software and using the Internet.  Internet
use is defined as using search engines with little or no focus on an
information seeking process or evaluating information. I strongly suspect the
principal believes these skills are all that a student needs.  Your challenge
is to show him/her the other side of this picture.  I would approach this
discussion from the perspective of students and their needs in an information
age.  Whether you are a candidate for this position or not, I would express my
concern regarding how his/her decision will impact the students in this
school.
Marjorie

******
Marjorie L. Pappas, Ph. D.                     319-273-2578
Associate Professor and Coordinator       319-273-2913 fax
School Library Media Studies                  www.uni.edu/coe/ci/slms
University of Northern Iowa                      marjorie.pappas@uni.edu
122 Rod Library                                      marjoriep@aol.com
Cedar Falls, IA  50614-0462