Thanks to all who sent suggestions for a novel to teach about Canada =
(for 5th grade language arts teacher.)  I tried to thank each =
individual, but may have missed someone.  This is my first attempt at =
posting a hit.

How about Far North by Will Hobbs. It is a survival story of an American
teenager, a Native boy and the old native man who are survivors of a =
plane
crash in the Canadian North. Excellent!

If she's trying to decide between a few, here are some of my=20
recommendations:

> teach the unit on =3D Canada.  Theme is Canada then & now.=20
THEN
        These two may not be "historical" enough?
Mowat, Farley. [Anything] "Lost in the Barrens".=20
Montgomery, Lucy Maud. "Anne of Green Gables".

Pearson, Kit. [anything, I think] . She writes historical fiction=20
about the children sent from Britain to Canada during WWII. Also "A=20
Handful of Time", which is time travel.

"Slave of the Haida" (author forgotten) about early BC Coast native=20
culture.

Smucker, Barbara "Underground to Canada" about the Black migration=20
away from slavery.

Lunn, Janet. "The Root Cellar" Time travel.

 NOW
Doyle, Brian. "Angel Square" which is pretty urban, eh. Mystery.

Ellis, Sarah. [Anything]. Modern novels, frequently about family=20
issues.

How about Mrs. Mike.  Tho I don't remember, was it Canada or the=20
Klondike? =20

What about _Anne of Green Gables_?  Our fifth grade teachers used it=20
several years ago.  Drawback?  The boys feel left out!

My daughter, in Grade 5, has just finished a novel called "The other
Elizabeth" by Karleen Bradford - a time travel story about a girl who
visits Upper Canada Village with her school and travels back in time to
the mid 19th century. Upper Canada Village is a recreation of a typical
19th century Upper Canada (now Ontario) village with all of its people.
Interpreters, including school children during the summer, play the
roles of the village inhabitants. This novel might well fit the theme of
Canada then and now, and my daughter loved it.

Try WITHIN A PAINTED PAST by Hazel Hutchins or THE HAND OF ROBIN
SQUIRES by Joan Clark.  Both lend themselves well to extensions

     You asked for a novel and one I would HIGHLY recommend is Far North =
by=20
     Will Hobbs-one can do much with cultures, history and geography =
with=20
     that novel that takes place in the Northwest Territories. =20

Here is a classic to order
Underground to Canada by Barbara Smucker
Toronto: Clark, Irwin 1977

I like Naomi's Road.  It's about a young girl living in British=20
Columbia at the start of WWII who is relocated-along with her family=20
to an internment camp. (Did you know Canada had them, too?)  Wonderful=20
story-just right for your teacher's class.

think the following would be helpful:

The Boggart, Far North, Hatchet, The River, and The Incredible Journey.