Hello Friends!
        Here are the ideas I got for cause and effect stories.  Thanks to all of
you who took the time to reply!  What a fantastic group this is!

How about One Fine Day by Nonny Hogrogian, about the woman who cut off
the fox's tail? Or I Know An Old Lady Who Swallowed A Fly? or If You
Give A Moose a Muffin, If You Give a Pig a Pancake, If You Give a
Mouse a Cookie?

You might try Noble's "The Day Jimmy's Boa Ate the Wash".  I use this
for sequence of events, but I would think it would also be good for
cause and effect.

Try Leo and Diane Dillon's Caldecott Book " Why Mosquitoes Buzz in
People's Ears."  Even the illustrations show it.

The Empty Pot by Demi, a picture book folktale in which an emperor tests
the honesty of the children by giving them boiled seeds to grow a plant.
Only Ping comes with an empty pot, telling the truth that he couldn't grow
anything.  And the emperor chooses him to be his successor.  Might be too
naive for gr.3?

Smoky Night by Bunting, a picture book for older children in which a boy
and his mother have to leave their house when rioters set it on fire, and
in the shelter they make friends with a neighbor they had been prejudiced
against.  This story could spark a lot of discussion.

A couple of titles come to mind - not exactly cause and effect, but sort of. .
Fortunately (Charlip) and a wonderfully funny one called Yay! (Emily Rodda
and Craig Smith).  I could sure make these work but I'm not sure about your
teacher. .

 How about The Garden chapter in one of the Frog and Toad books (can't
remember which one)?  It's hilarious read aloud if you ham it up, and it
shows that you can't cause seeds to sprout any faster than they do
naturally.
    A more serious cause and effect of behaviors book would be The Summer My
Father was Ten by Pat Brisson.  In it a boy carelessly destroys an old man's
garden and has to deal with the effects of his behavior.

 Because a Bug Went Ka-Choo!

 I used Me and Neesie by Greenfield; I think I got a ditto page from
Schooldays to go with it exactly about "cause and effect".

Try a short story from Frog and Toad are Friends by Arnold Lobel.  The
Icecream
cone is a good one for this.

I used "Because a little bug said ka-choo" with my students.
First we read the story for cause and effect. Then we rewrote the story
and changed the ending.  The whole story happens because a bug sneezes
and someone else gets hurt and mad.  We rewrote the story so that
everyone remained friends and instead of joining a parade at the end of
the story we had all the friends do the hokey pokey.  Of course we had
to do the hokey pokey too.

Try the picture book _A porcupine named Fluffy_ by Helen Lester.

"Shortcut" by MacCauley. The story starts with a farmer going to market
with a load of goods and stops by a sign, takes off his coat and hangs
it on the sign which covers up a portion of the sign that sends
subsequent travelers in another direction that sets off a chain of
events in the story.

-_The Old Ladies who Liked Cats_, by Carol Greene
(HarperCollins 1991) is a great cause and effect picture book. Also
_Shortcut_ by Macaulay (HM, 1995).  My second grade teacher uses
_Alexander and the Horrible ...No Good Day_ (which I would not have
thought of) by having her kids analyze what things he did that led to
what happened (e.g. if he hadn't left his skateboard on the floor he
wouldn't have tripped over it in the morning)--she uses it as
instruction on decision making, but it could also be interpreted as
cause and effect.

Why the
Chicken Crossed the Road_ (Macauley again)-

That's good, that's bad by
Cuyler.