It's been awhile coming but here is what I learned about my burned book
problem. Briefly, I have a book that was burned in a locker due to
vandalism. It has a couple corners mildly singed but that's it. I was
concerened about the possible smoke smell affecting the other books.

------------
You could try "sealing" the book in a plastic bag with a charcoal
briquette.  It takes out bad smells.

-------
Call Econoclad for a free replacement -- it's their policy!
-------
A year ago I had a house fire.  While I did lose a lot of my books(2000
volumes) I was able to salvage a few of them.  I used automobile solvent
clean shiny covers and found that the smell ( after allowing them to
air) did
not effect other books that I have.
---------------
Send it for rebinding ****if****it is cheaper than a new copy.  It
works.
---------------
My advice is to trash the book in order to prevent giving patrons the
idea
that book vandalism is "no big deal."  If it was a popular title,
perhaps
you could incorporate in your discussions the fact that the library no
longer has that copy because...   Usually, kids appreciate the fact that

everyone should do his part to take care of the books, so that other
may,
in turn, borrow them.
----------------
Try putting the book in a zipper lock bag with some charcoal or some
cedar blocks.   One of them should take away any unwanted odors.
Laying the book out in the sun (protected, of course) may also help.
---------------
Try putting this book into a large ziplock bag filled with kitty litter.
know this works for removing cigarette smoke, so it might work for this
as
well.
--------------
Ask Econoclad if they will replace the book -- I know that Permabound
does that for books that are damaged, pages out, etc.
--------------
Although I haven't seen the book (obviously!) I would probably discard
it unless a replacement is unavailable.  Even with just singed corners
it probably looks like it should be weeded.  With the smoke situation,
I'd say that's two strikes against it...and out it would go :/
--------------
This is me speaking now:   I also heard from the Assistant National
Sales Manager form Econo-Clad. Basically she stated that vandalism isn't
normally covered by their guarantee but she would be glad to replace it
for me. She gave me the phone number of  my local rep and he's already
called me!

Basically, it was suggested to try to get the smell out or have it
replaced.

Thanks, LM_NET members.....great help here!

Darcy Stepka
Librarian
Bishop Garcia Diego HS
Santa Barbara, CA 93110
mailto:dstepka@bishopdiego.org
http://www.bishopdiego.org

To quit LM_NET (or set-reset NOMAIL or DIGEST), Send email to