Dear LMNETTERS:  So many of you liked my Indoor Library Campfire and asked
for my program that I decided to send it out to everyone who may find ideas
from it.                 Sandy P. in Philly
HALLOWEEN REPERTOIRE --
RECORDINGS:
        Bobby Norfolk - "Tilly and the Eight Steps" from Norfolk-Tales
Earwig  EW4917c
        Bill Harley - "Monsters in the Bathroom" from album Monsters in the
Bathroom  Round River
        The Folktellers - albums  Graveyard Tales, and White Horses and
Whippoorwills
        Jackie Torrance - "Tilly" from Jackie Torrance -"The Story Lady"
Weston Woods
                     "           "        "Wicked John and the Devil" on
Country Characters   Earwig   EW4909c
             "           "        "The Monkey's Paw"  (5th grade and up) I
made a live recording of ghost
                                       stories by assorted tellers many
years ago at the National Storytelling
                                               Festival in Jonesborough, TN
        Barry Lois Polisar - "Thump, Thump, Thump" from Captured "Live" and
In the Act
        Tom Waites - "Big Joe and Phantom 309" from Nighthawks at the Diner

LIVE PERFORMANCE:
        Hallmark Greeting Cards - The Peanuts Gang - Halloween Song
Parodies of Christmas Carols
                   (2 related cards found in a store 30 years ago)- "The
Twelve Days of Halloween", "Shiver
                   Yells" ("Silver Bells")
        Original Song Parodies in the same vain - "Dracula Is Coming to
Town", "Halloween O
                    Halloween", "Jack-O, the Carved-Nose Pumpkin"
("Rudolph"), "We Three Spooks of
                    Halloween Are"
        "Halloween Song" by Sandy Pomerantz (will appear on my first kid's
recording)
        Assorted stories from these works:
         Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark (3 vols.) by Alvin Schwartz
         In a Dark, Dark Room, And Other Scary Stories  by Schwartz, Harper
& Row
         Whistle in the Graveyard by Maria Leach
         The Thing at the Foot of the Bed  from
        Scary Stories to Read Aloud by Margaret Reed MacDonald
        * The Little Old Lady Who Was Not  Afraid of Anything by Linda
Williams, Harper-Collins
        * "Goin' On a Ghost Hunt" (adapted from telling of Folktellers and
assorted versions of
                     "Bear Hunt" I've adapted for my own arrangement over
the years)
        "Mr. Fox" (for 5th grades and up) in many anthologies
        * "Rickety Tickety Tin" by Tom Lehrer accompanied by guitar
        * Favorite Scary Stories of American Children by  Richard and Judy
Dockrey Young August
                      House
        Assorted Urban Legends from Jan Brunvand's works for my 7th and 8th
graders i.e. The
                    Vanishing Hitchhiker

        My Personal Favorites to do:
        * "Sarah and the Old, Old Woman", "The Yellow Ribbon", "It Floats",
"The Ghost with
                           the Bloody Fingers"

* FOR THE BEST AND LARGEST RESOURCE CATALOG OF CHILDREN'S RECORDINGS OF
SONGS AND STORIES
  SEND FOR THE ANNUAL "KIDDIE CAT" FROM SILO MUSIC: 1-800-342-0295
* BEST SOURCES OF STORIES TO TELL OR READ ALOUD GET THESE CATALOGS:
         AUGUST HOUSE:  1-800-284-8784
         YELLOW MOON PRESS: 1-800-497-4385
*  Audience Participation

ORIGINAL SONG PARODIES:
           DRACULA IS COMING TO TOWN+
         (tune of "Santa Claus Is Coming...")
Chorus Oh, you'd better watch out
         You'd better not cry
         You'd better not pout
         I'm telling you why,
         Dracula is coming to town!

         He's biting your neck,
         Tasting it twice.
         Gonna find out
         Who tastes naughty or nice
         Dracula is coming to town.

         He bites you when you're sleeping
         He won't let you awake
         He'll know if you taste bad or good
        So taste bad for goodness' sake.
Repeat Chorus

         WE THREE GHOULS+
            (tune of "We Three Kings")
        We three ghouls of Halloween are.
        Seeking gifts we travel afar.
        Apples, candy,
        Gum is dandy
        Whether by foot or car
        Oh! Ghouls of horror,
            Ghouls of fright
        Trick-or-treating in the night
        Eyes are gleaming,
            Children screaming
        Running from the scary sight!

          JACK-O, THE CARVED-NOSE PUMPKIN+
             (tune of "Rudolph the Red-Nosed ...")
        Jack-O the carved-nose pumpkin
        Had a very shapely nose
        And if you ever saw it,
        You might even say it glows
        All of the other pumpkins
        Used to laugh and call him names
        They never let poor Jack-O
        Join in any Halloween games.
        Then one foggy Halloween
        The witches came to say:
        "Jack-O, with your nose so bright,
        Won't you guide our brooms
                 tonight?"
        Then all the witches loved him
                Do you know the reason why?
        He was so delicious, November 1
                When they ate him up as pumpkin pie!

               HALLOWEEN, O HALLOWEEN+
             (tune of "Hanukah, O Hanukah")
        Halloween, O Halloween
        It's such a muh-hyah^
        Witches in black schmahtas*
        Are up in the sky-ah.

        E.T. and Barney are out on the
        streets
        Let's hope that they won't find
        Cyanide in their treats.

        And while they are praying
        That someone will answer the door.
        Ghosts and Godzilla
        Once such a geh-dillah"
        Just aren't quite the same any more
        With folks so afraid
        Of pills and razor blades
        It's just not the same any more!

^ muh-hyaha -  big fuss
* schmahta - rag, as a raggedy housedress
" geh-dillah - big deal
+ Lyrics copyright 1998 by Sandy Pomerantz

HALLMARK PARODIES:

         PUMPKIN WONDERLAND=
     (tune of "Winter Wonderland")
  Screech owls hoot, are you listenin'?
  Beneath the moon, all is glistenin'
  Areal scary sight, we're happy tonight
  Waitin' in a pumpkin wonderland.

In the patch we're waiting for Great Pumpkin
We've been waiting for this night all year.
For we've tried to be nice to everybody
And to grow a pumpkin patch that is sincere!

  Later on, while we're eating
  What we got trick-or-treating
  We'll share all our sacks
  Of Halloween snacks
  Waitin' in a pumpkin wonderland.

         THIRTEEN HOURS OF HALLOWEEN=
        (tune of "Twelve Days of Christmas")
On the thirteenth hour of Halloween my true
            love gave to me:
thirteen cauldrons bubbling,
twelve bats a-flying,
eleven masks a-leering,
ten ghouls a-groaning,
nine ghosts a-booiing,
eight monsters shrieking,
seven pumpkins glowing,
six goblins gobbling,
five scary spooks,
four skeletons,
three black cats,
two trick-or-treaters,
and a hoot owl in an oak tree

(On manilla tag I've illustrated pictures
 for each hour, laminated them, and I
 select 13 students to each hold one
 and turn it toward the audience (class)
 at the time it's first sung and then to
 put it up high each suceeding time it's
 mentioned. Truly a favorite!)

=   c.  Hallmark

Sandy Pomerantz, Librarian
Central East Middle School
B & Wyoming Ave.
Phila., PA  19120
spomeran@phila.k12.pa.us

"It's got to be the going not the gettin' there that's good." Harry Chapin
in song "Take the Greyhound"
"But then, you could go both ways!"  Scarecrow in movie "The Wizard of Oz"

Sandy Pomerantz, Librarian
Central East Middle School
236 E. Wyoming Ave.
Phila., PA 19120
(215) 456-3037

To quit LM_NET (or set-reset NOMAIL or DIGEST), Send email to