Dearest colleagues,

Mea culpa.  While there is no need to explain the busy life of a LMS to those
of the same ilk I do feel obligated to offer apologies for not yet posting my
hit on a target posted two months ago.

Judging by the number of responses, there is quite an interest out there.  I
now have about 20 pages of text that I would like to summarize but do not have
the time.

The short, anecdotal version is that, as a recent thread made clear,
certification varies dramatically from state to state as does the availability
of certified librarians. In my state, Massachusetts, there is definitely a
dearth of such.  While there are schools that offer Masters of Ed. in library
media which does lead to certification, there is only one (Simmons) ALA
accredited program for a MLS in Massachusetts and it is very expensive.  I am
attending University of Rhode Island (and its satellite classes) none of which
are closer than a one hour drive.  I am doing this in addition to being a
full-time teaching librarian at two elementary schools (my first year),
raising two school age children and (crazy as it may seem), putting an
addition on my house.  The latter items to explain why I have as yet to post a
hit.

More of my summary.  Those out there working as LMS's have such varied
backgrounds it boggles the mind.  Many are teachers, which I think is grand.
Do not knock the teacher teaching him/herself how to be a librarian!!  There
are former bankers (me), economist, military people, volunteers (lots), public
librarians (with MLS but not certification, go figure),audiologist,I could go
on.

I'll sum up quoting another member, with whom I agree wholeheartedly, who says
it better than I:

NOW--HERE IS WHAT I BELIEVE---It is time for all of us to realize that
there are many ways to acquire the needed knowledge to be a
professional.  While I didn't take the courses I was constantly reading
SLJ and other professional literature--taking every opportunity to learn
about those I served and the potential service that the library could
perform for them.........I have continued to be excited about what I do
and innovative in the way I do it....committed to excellence I have
overseen a number of young women who I have encouraged on to their
educational goals......I learned storytelling and use it regularly as a
means to help all of us -- me included---find our inner strengths---and
occassionally--I am confronted by someone who turns up their nose
because I am not really certified----similar to friends who do not have
an MLS from an accredited institution----It is time we face this
problem--but those in control are those who have gone through the
"training and certification" process and are interested in protecting
their status----"

Please, please, please do not take this as a gauntlet tossed to start a
we/they discussion of certified vs. uncertified.  I respect and honor and
learn from my certified friends.  But I insist  that I have learned far more
from LM_Net than from my grad classes as far as what is applicable to my job
and have taught myself on the job by reading, experimenting, failing and
succeeding.  Two months into my new position I am proud to say that I am a
good librarian/teacher, the students are learning and many are loving library
class.

No more time.  Please be patient.

Nancy Riemer Kellner
Librarian, Peaslee and Lincoln Street Schools, Northborough, MA
Masters candidate, URI Library and Information Studies

NKellner@aol.com

"How much hope, expectation and sheer hard work goes into the smallest
success."
May Sarton

              All postings to LM_NET are copyright
To quit LM_NET (or set-reset NOMAIL or DIGEST), Send email to