Here's more on intra-nets

Our Intranet is district-wide, and accessible only to staff.  Yes, I think
that is the whole purpose of doing it "Intra".  Ours is password protected
as well. It contains information useful and meant for use by school staff
only.  We have all kinds of policies and documents, staff development
information, curriculum plans, as well as forms and information appropriate
for specific buildings in the district.  When everyone in our building is
(finally!) capable of getting on the Intranet, we will be using it for the
daily bulletin, attendance, AV equipment ordering, etc.

At the middle school, we also have a student Intranet, with links to search
engines and some "fun" sites, information about the staff, the Students of
the Month, and school activities.

(I tried for the "poetry style" answer, but just couldn't muster up enough
brain cells to do it!)

Susan Miller, Librarian
        Donegal Middle School
        1175 River Road
        Marietta, PA 17547

since the intranet is for the teachers, it should have a
separate name and address, such as myintranet.school..edu and be
passworded, especially if you're going to have stuff on it that you
don't want the kids to see.  Don't make the ids and passwords too
hard to remember, otherwise the teachers will write them down and
leave them next to the computers. <grin>.

However, the web is designed to
link.  Unless you hook the intranet to some sort of filter, you'll
still have kids hitting inappropriate sites.  I don't think the
teachers are going to investigate every link and go forward two or
three levels.  All you need is one link to a general webring, and
you'll have some parent on your neck.

Whether you have an intranet or an internet, you're still connected
to the wide world. An intranet, ujst means that access in is
restricted, not access out.

If you intend that your site will not be open to use by the outside
world, then you have an 'intranet site'. If you don't mind everyone
coming onto your site from the outside, then you have an 'internet
website'.   The servers and programs used to run them are identical.

Filters, are programs of various sorts that prevent internet users
from accessing certain sites.  I know that some recent posts here
have given websites for explanations of filtering programs and what
they do. However, all my address are on my work pc.  Even if you're
not going to use filters, and depend on Acceptable Use Policies, you
do want to know about the hazards.

Dan Robinson
Indexing Services
H.W. Wilson Company
Bronx, NY

Kevin "Vinnie the Librarian" Smith
Library Technician
Roblin Elementary School
Roblin, Manitoba
CANADA R0L 1P0

" Read all the books thou can for thou art sufficient to judge for thyself
" - Milton