I've just logged on for the first time this year, and truly wish I would
have done so sooner, but I need information in a timely manner if
at all possible from all of you.

Our district is planning on opening a new high school in the fall of
1999.  Both our current building (new for the 95-96 school year)
and our new building will have capacity of 1000 students,
although when they are split they will each have only roughly half
that amount in each.

I'm giving a presentation requested by our district leaders over
what we need to do to prepare for the new building in terms of
library needs.  The newest Book Report magazine has a wonderful
article at the front that gives me good guidelines, but I know one
of the issues that will need to be addressed deals with the current
expenditures given to libraries within our district.  At this point in
time we have no policy in place which gives X amount of money
per student to the library, but instead have site based
dispersement of funds which again are influenced by the overall
amount given to each building by our central office (and how
knowledgeable your principal is to your work in the library).  Here
are my questions:

1.  If your district gives a per student amount of money towards
your library:
- is the amount the same regardless of grade level?
- what expenses are you responsible for out of that amount of
money? (paper, printer cartridges, a-v repairs, etc.)
- what do you feel are the pros and/or cons of this system of funds
dispersal?

2.  If your district does NOT disperse money on a per student
basis, what are the pros/cons you find for your current system of
funds dispersal?

Our district has a total of 2700 students, currently one high school,
two middle schools (6-8), and three grade schools.  We have no
library coordinator in the district.  I would especially appreciate
hearing from any librarians that have found themselves in this
same position (second high school opening in a formerly one high
school district) and the pitfalls you may have experience.

Thanks so much for your help.  I truly apologize for the length of
this request.

Andy Shelly
High School Teacher-Librarian
De Soto High School