Dear Joanne,
(1) During the month of Ramadan, the Palestinian students in my school come
to the library in lieu of lunch and may do research, read, or play games
quietly.
(2) When students are finished work in nearby classrooms on my floor, a
couple of teachers may send a few to the library to read, play a game, or
sometimes help me with clerical needs.  I also check out games to classroom
teachers for a period.
(3)  Sometimes a substitute allows a few to come help me or play games
quietly, because they "aren't really doing anything in class today, Ms.
Pomerantz!"
(4) The public library branch across the street has been closed for
renovations since June and won't reopen till at least February, so as an
extra-curricular activity I stay open for an hour after school Mondays and
Wednesdays.  Students may do research, read, help me, or play games quietly.
(5) As a review or reenforcement, I use library games with classes after
teaching a skill. Some are board or card games or adaptions of these I
learned how to make over the years in workshops and courses. Some are for
me to emcee with the entire group, and some can be used independently by
groups of kids after I demonstrate them. These are great cooperative
learning activities.
                                                Sandy P. in Philly

"It's got to be the going not the gettin' there that's good." Harry Chapin
in song "Take the Greyhound"
"But then, you could go both ways!"  Scarecrow in movie "The Wizard of Oz"

Sandy Pomerantz, Librarian
Central East Middle School
236 E. Wyoming Ave.
Phila., PA 19120