Hello Netters:

During my yearly evaluation with my principal last May, she asked what I
have planned for this year. . .  My response was EBS for the 6, 7, & 8
graders (we're K - 8, but the younger kids will have a different reading
program) and she agreed with me that 6, 7, & 8th graders need a definite
incentive/motivation to keep reading for pleasure.

We will have 100 students at each grade level (300 total) involved.

I've read all the EBS materials on how to set up, different ideas on
incentives, contests, and promotion, and I saved and re-read the various
ideas LMNet members submitted for Accelerated Reader or EBS. I'm a bit
overwhelmed at all these choices/decisions, and a lot of the promotional
ideas were cute - too cute for junior highers, if you know what I mean.
What motivates 6th, 7th, and 8th graders?

I would really appreciate hearing specifically from others at the junior
high/middle school level who have successfully used EBS. I hope to create a
program that requires the classroom teachers' involvement as little as
possible (unless they choose to become more directly involved writing
tests, setting their own class goals and monitoring their own students). My
goal is to motivate students individually, and as a classroom or grade level.

Please send your responses directly to me, and I will post a "Hit" next
week. Please  indicate if you do NOT want your name given with your response.

THANKS!

Joanne Ladewig
Information Center Director
Fairgrove Academy
(a K-8 public school focusing on the Visual and Performing Arts, and
Technology)
La Puente, CA
jladewig@ns700-1.enet.hlpusd.k12.ca.us     (all lower case)
home email: shatz@lightside.com