Here's the feedback I received from all you guys. I also received a FAX
from Winnebago with their suggested way which they received from a user,
by the way.

---------------
Current issue of magazines are kept in plastic covers that are barcoded
for checkout.
The barcode entry simply identifies the title as the current issue.

Back issues of magazines are circulated the same as I circulate Vertical
File
materials. I keep envelopes at the desk labeled with barcodes #1 - #50.
These are
checked out as Temporary Items (I have Follett; I don't know if Spectrum
will do
this). When the items are returned and the barcode is typed in, the
temporary items
are deleted from the system and the same envelope can be used again.

---------------
Here's what I have done based on another school's practice. I have
students fill out a slip that includes title of magazine, date, their
name
and today's date. This is 1/4 of a regular sheet. Then I use that to
pull
the copy from the closed stacks. For check out I keep the slip and put
it
in a plastic sleeve that fits in a binder. It has a barcode and the
computer entry just lists it as a periodical. The plastic sheets can be
filed at the end of the day in the 3-ring binder in alphabetical order.
When the magazine is returned I check it in on the computer, pull the
plastic sleeve, and throw the paper slip away. I entered about 50
barcodes
into the computer since our school is small.
----------------
without barcoding each issue you will have to have some way of
remembering the individual issues. Here's what I would do. I'd make up
some
"generic" magazine barcodes and enter them. When you print them, print 2
of
each one, so that you can put one on a laminated card and the other on a
laminated manila envelope or plastic courier folder. When someone checks
out magazines, write the title and dates on the card and use the barcode
check them out as a single item called Magazines to that individual. Put
the mags in the envelope with the matching number and let students know
they have to come back IN the envelope to be checked in. That way,
you'll
at least know that a student has magazines checked out, and the card
kept
on file will tell you which ones.

Personally, I think this is a LOT more trouble than barcoding the mags.
really don't have time to do all that, so I barcoded each title and when
entered the info I said I had 12 copies so that it printed 12 different
barcodes for that title. When mags come in I just pull out my sheet of
barcodes for that title, stick one on, zap it and fill in the date on
the
author line. (the price, etc. are already in the record) and it's on the
shelf. Also the barcode identifies it as YOUR mag. Without the barcodes
there would be nothing on mine to show that they came from our library.
-------------------
The easiest way to do this is to have either large manila envelopes or
large nylon pouches - and barcode them!    When the patron wants to
check
out magazines, the pouch barcode is scanned.   Then in a notes field (we
have SIRSI Unicorn, so I'm not really familiar with Winnebago) type in
each periodical name and issue.

When the patron returns the pouch/envelope, be sure to check the notes
field to assure that all items were returned.

This also works for vertical file materials - if you still have a file.
HIT #2 is on its way!

Darcy Stepka
Librarian
Bishop Garcia Diego HS
Santa Barbara, CA 93110
mailto:dstepka@bishopdiego.org
http://www.bishopdiego.org

To quit LM_NET (or set-reset NOMAIL or DIGEST), Send email to