Here is HIT #2:

----------
In my previous job at an elementary school I barcoded only the
magazines used for research such as Cobblestones. For the rest I
purchased at a resource center some recycled envelopes and made about 50
generic barcodes called magazine (no other cataloguing). I showed the
student wanting a magazine the barcode and asked that the magazine be
kept and returned in the envelope. Intially I was going to place a
mailbox on the student's account indicating which mag and date. That was
cumbersome so I just made it the responsibility of the student to return
the magazine in the correct envelope. When I ran my statistics I could
tell how many magazines circulated. I could not tell which ones. I was
surprised at the condition of popular magazines like SPorts Illustrated.
They came back in great condition!  Hope this helps, Joan
--------------
I have Spectrum too.  I do an easy entry also.  I
barcode two magazine covers per title and change
date, issue #, etc. with each new issue in the holdings.  I then list
this information in the main entry, so when you check it out just the
current
issue appears; but you still have record of all
issues you have received.

-------------------
We barcode cards.  For monthly magazines like Seventeen, we have one for
each month.  Since we give away this type of magazine each
end-of-school-year, we can use them forever.  For magazines such as
Sports
Illustrated, Time, etc. which come out weekly, we barcode a number of
cards (more or less depending on popularity) and title them SI 1, SI 2
(Time 1, Time 2) and so on.  The only little glitch is that you have to
enter date of magazine on the card.  We also have a half-dozen cards
titled periodical, just in case we run out of a magazine's title cards.

We keep the cards in a box next to the checkout terminal, with the
unchecked out cards in front and the checked out ones behind a divider.

This works very well for us, and since we enter each card as PER, we are
able to have an accurate count of our magazine circulation, both total
numbers and individual periodical.

-----------------
well - my latest idea is to create a new MARC record  called Newsweek. I
put the issue date in the call number location, when I get a new
magazine  - I add a holding. Seems to work ok. I also have some generic
magazine barcodes for magazines that I don't keep. I add a message when
it is checked out but folks forget to delete the message sometimes and
can create problems.
-------------------
Check the archives.  I have a lengthy print out from last month about
this
issue.  Most suggest you enter a vague bibliographic record (Time,
current
issue) and then attach the barcode to the magazine cover or to a manilla
envelope.
-----------------
We have a several extra bar codes for each of the most frequently used
magazines.These barcodes are on a small roladex (sp?) card. Typed on the
card is the title of the magazine and a card number #1, #2, #3, etc.  We
scan the bar code taht is pasted on the small card, and on our computer
type in the temporary information ( such as the title of the magazine,
date
of it and price, as well as the date due). The magazine is placed in a
large envelope and on the outside of it we write the title of the
magazine,
the number of the card #1, #2, #3, etc. and the date that the magazine
is
due.

I hope that you can understand what I am trying to explain!
-----------------
We have a several extra bar codes for each of the most frequently used
magazines.These barcodes are on a small roladex (sp?) card. Typed on the
card is the title of the magazine and a card number #1, #2, #3, etc.  We
scan the bar code taht is pasted on the small card, and on our computer
type in the temporary information ( such as the title of the magazine,
date
of it and price, as well as the date due). The magazine is placed in a
large envelope and on the outside of it we write the title of the
magazine,
the number of the card #1, #2, #3, etc. and the date that the magazine
is
due.

I hope that you can understand what I am trying to explain!
------------------
In the past, I've attached barcodes to laminated manila envelopes with
the
title and month of a particular magazine on it.  Then went ahead and
cataloged it with the date of the magazine in the title (ex.: Time
March)
I didn't bother with the year. When a student wanted to borrow a
magazine,
I just inserted it into the envelop and checked it out. I kept the
envelopes indexed in a large box on my circulation counter.

Hope this helps.
-----------

That's all for now!  One person was writing from home and needed to get
her info at school but I haven't heard from her yet.  Maybe I'll get
some more for you guys.

Darcy Stepka
Librarian
Bishop Garcia Diego HS
Santa Barbara, CA 93110
mailto:dstepka@bishopdiego.org
http://www.bishopdiego.org

To quit LM_NET (or set-reset NOMAIL or DIGEST), Send email to