Wow, you guys are great.  Thank you for the great resources.

+++++
Here are two books that I know of:

Ordeal by hunger---George Ripley Stweart
Snowbound--David Lavendar
+++++
I saw a movie years ago called "Seven Alone".  I think it was about
some children that survived from the Donner party, but I could be wrong.
Hunger Valley  was a book I read when I was in school that I'm pretty
positive was about the Donner party.
+++++
I'm at the K-8 building today and my resources are at the high school, but
the book Ordeal by Hunger (Stewart) is excellent, and I also have an
excellent video (from PBS I think) about the Donner Party. Can't remember
the title but I'm sure you'll get it from someone on this list. If not, let
me know.
+++++
I know of the following book on the Donner Party: Snowbound - The Tragic
Story of the Donner Party  (by David Lavender) It's an elementary level
book.  Hope this helps!
+++++
I forwarded you message to our 6th grade teacher who just fininshed a
"Donner" unit.  They compared the accounts in 2 books -- 1 fiction & 1
non-fiction (Mothers by vardis Fisher & Ordeal of Hunger). One of the
things they did was to make a wall map of the trail -- mapping as the
stories were read.
+++++
Have you seen the book _Snowbound, the tragic story of the Donner party_ by
David Lavender, Holiday House, 1996?  It's written for elementary students
(grades 5-8) and well done.
+++++
These were the best ones (web sites) that I could find. Hopefully, they
will be of
some use to you. The first one is definitely my favorite and seems to be very
student-friendly.

Donner Outline - excellent teacher resource created by Pacific Bell;
includes many webpages for the students to refer to.
http://www.kn.pacbell.com/wired/donner/index.html

The Donner Party by Daniel M. Rosen - includes details of trail and camps
used by them:
http://members.aol.com/danmrosen/donner/index.htm

The American Experience - Donner Party Bibliography - list of 7 books
The site also refers to a video that they sell on the Donner Party.
http://web-cr02.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/amex/donner/readmore.html
+++++
I taped for my own video library a PBS show a few year ago from the
"American Experience" series.  It was my first information about this
historical event.
+++++
I write from a school near Springfield, Illinois, where the ill-fated group
organized and set out and believe that I remember that some of those who
set out with the Donner Party were from the Williamsville area.  Here are
some sites
that mention the Springfield connection.  I used the search engine
http://www.hotbot.com, changed the search options from "all the words" to
"boolean phrase" and typed in the phrase -- "donner party" and springfield
-- to get the results.

http://www.gc.cc.va.us/~gcadamj/pw5-donnt.htm
http://www.donaldlaird.com/landmarks/counties/100-199/134.html

http://www.acun.com/dentons/Donner.htm
+++++
Patty Reed's Doll The Story of the Donner Party by Rachel L. Laurgaard
+++++

CALL:                j808.8
TITLE:               Read for your life : tales of survival from the
                     editors of Read magazine.
PUBINFO:             Brookfield, Conn. : Millbrook Press, c1998.
                       160 p. ; 20 cm.
NOTE1:                  CONTENTS: A hero's courage, the true story of flight 90
                       / by Ted Hoey -- The gold in Last Chance Mine / by Mark
                       Stuart Gill -- Grizzly / by Gordon Carlson -- Trapped
                       in Kolob Creek Canyon / by Kate Davis -- The cobra's
                       venom / by Robert Elgin -- "The storm" from Winderdance
                       / by Gary Paulsen -- The cutoff, the story of the
                       Donner party / by Catherine Gourley -- Leiningen versus
  CALL:                979.438
  AUTHOR:              Hardesty, Donald L., 1941-
  TITLE:               The archaeology of the Donner Party / Donald L
                       Hardesty, with contributions by Michael Brodhead ...
                       [et al.].
  PUBINFO:             Reno : University of Nevada Press, c1997.
                       xii, 156 p. : ill., map ; 25 cm.
  SERIES1:             Wilbur S. Shepperson series in history and humanities
                       (Unnumbered)
  NOTE1:               Includes bibliographical references (p. [133]-151)and
  SUBJECT1:            Excavations (Archaeology)--Tahoe, Lake, Region(Calif.
 CALL:                978
  AUTHOR:              Houghton, Eliza Poor Donner.
  TITLE:               The expedition of the Donner Party and its tragic fate
                       / by Eliza P. Donner Houghton ; introduction to the
                       Bison books edition by Kristin Johnson.
  PUBINFO:             Lincoln : University of Nebraska Press, 1997.
                       xxxi,  374 p. : ill. ; 20 cm.
  NOTE1:               Originally published: Chicago : A.C. McGlurg, 1911.
                       Includes bibliographical references and index.
  SUBJECT1:            Donner Party.
  OCLC NO:             37187491
  ISBN:                0803273045 (pa : alk. paper) :
              DONNER PARTY
  CALL:                979.4
  AUTHOR:              Mullen, Frank.
  TITLE:               The Donner Party chronicles : a day-by-day account of
                       doomed wagon train, 1846-1847 / by Frank Mullen Jr. ;
                       photos by Marilyn Newton  ; foreword by Will Bagley.
  PUBINFO:             [Reno, Nev.] : Nevada Humanities Committee, c1997.
                       379 p. : ill., maps ; 25 x 29 cm.
  NOTE1:               "From a year-long newspaper series published in the
                       Reno Gazette- Journal, commemorating the 150th
                       anniversary of the Donner Party's trek across the
                       continent and entrapment in the Sierra."
                       Includes bibliographical references (p. 368-370) and
  CALL:                978
  TITLE:               Unfortunate emigrants : narratives of the Donner
                        Party
                       / edited by Kristin Johnson.
  PUBINFO:             Logan, Utah : Utah State University Press, 1996.
                       viii, 317 p. : ill., maps ; 24 cm.
  NOTE1:               CONTENTS: J. Quinn Thornton -- From Oregon and
                       California in 1848 -- Lilburn W. Boggs -- Immigrants
                       toCalifornia -- Mary Ann Graves -- Letter from
                       California-- H.A. Wise -- From Los Gringos -- Eliza
W.                                                   Farnham
                        --
                       From California, in-doors and out -- J. Ross Browne--