On 5/4/99 Bonnie LaClave wrote:
>This thread has brought back lots of great memories!  I haven't yet seen my
>favorites, so thought I would share them.  The "Saturdays" series by
>Elizabeth Enright--I can't remember all the titles, but some were "The
>Saturdays", "Then There Were Five", etc.  What wonderful stories!  I
>re-read them many times!  I also like another one called "The Diamond in
>the Window"--it may also have been by Enright (not sure).  She was
>definitely one of my favorite childhood authors!

I was really pleased to see Elizabeth Enright come up. My sister had The
four story mistake when I was a child, and when I came to New York in the
seventies I was able to buy the omnibus edition of The Melendy family.
Since then I have found English editions of Spiderweb for two, her two
books about Gone Away Lake, and Thimble summer. Now my daughters are
working their way through them.

English series authors I loved and still read include Elinor Brent-Dyer
(Chalet School and others), Elsie J Oxenham (Abbey books and others) and
Pamela Hill (ballet stories. I also loved the historical books by Rosemary
Sutcliff.

The other author I remember loving when I was a little older and beginning
to read more adult books (apart from Georgette Heyer of course!)  was Mary
Renault, particularly Last of the wine. Her evocations of ancient Greece
were truly wonderful.

Elizabeth Bentley
Head of Learning Resources
Northbrook C of E School