Hello!
I have tabulated the results received concerning library report cards,
and I would like to thank all who responded. I received the following:

14 No
23 Yes

Many had explanations concerning their situation. I have included
highlights of these responses.

"This is not normal to give library report cards. The library is a
place,
not a class or a subject."

"That is ridiculous. The library is not a stand-alone curriculum. Grades
should be a part of a subject area. You have too much to do besides
giving grades."

"I bet it makes the kids treat library skills classes more seriously."

"I don't give grades. I test skills through quizzes or exams but always
as part of a bigger, subject test."

"I give the grade to the teacher to incorporate in appropriate subject
area--I don't do much grading at all."

"I grade the student research on the mechanics (notetaking, searching,
bibliography, etc.) which is a portion of a paper itself, which counts
for 10% to 50% depending."

"Thankfully not."

"NO!"

"No, but I do have library classes K-5 and I do lessons when asked to
for grades 6-8."

"I grade cooperative lessons and give a grade to teachers who are free
to use it or not. I also do report card inserts which tell what students
are doing, and I include a comment to keep reading with their children."

"No...never. I have worked in 6 different schools of all levels in two
states."

"No. I help mark report cards cooperatively planned and taught."

"I do not and don't want to. I do grade special projects. If a student
wants a grade, I give either an A or B. If it isn't good enough for an A
or B, it isn't quality work and I won't grade it."

"Our grades are pretty much behavior grades: plus, check, or area of
concern. The library isn't a subject but a place."

" I grade skill sheets and give grades to teachers for language arts or
reading grades."
_________________Yes Responses

"I give grades for grades 1-5, not Pre-K or K. I used to use E,G,S,etc.
but now AC= area of concern, DA=developing appropriately, EC=exceeding
criteria, NA=not assessed. I have grouped a variety of skills/behaviors
into 3 categories and each receives 1 of the 4 (3 main areas are skills,
participation, behavior.) I hate the new reports because there is no
grey area grading."

"I grade the same way as you do in grades 4-6. (E,G,S,N,U)"

"I grade 7th graders (a different group each marking period) with
Pass/Fail...works well."

"Grades have added validity to our program. A,B,C,D, U and under that 2
sections: Skills and  Policy and Procedure. +, check, or - . Grades go
out the 2nd and 4th quarters and go on the classroom report cards."

"Grades 3-5 receive letter grades, and lower grades I=Independent,
P=Progressing, etc. I also have boxes to check that reflect the State
Learning Outcomes. I hate it."

Karen Hathaway, Librarian
West Monona Community School, Onawa, Iowa
hathaway@west-monona.k12.ia.us