All I've heard and read seems to indicate that for the longest life a power
supply should be turned on only once, and turned off only when it dies. The
other side of that is that the power supply is drawing current whenever it
is on, and that means the electric meter is running. Obviously, the more
computers you have, the more you will save by turning them off at night.

I have ten computers in the library here, and each night I not only turn
them off but pull the plugs on them and on the network hub in the library.
That way when the lightning strikes I won't have fried computers. I also
shut them down if there are electrical storms in the area during the day. I
do turn on all ten when I come in each morning, unless there are storms in
the area then.

There is only one working computer at home (3 more that I'm working on, but
that's another story) and we shut it down at night, too. I don't unplug it
because I'm too creaky (lazy) to get down on my hands and knees every
night, but since it is just outside our bedroom, I can easily do so if I
hear rumbling during the night. By having it off already, all I have to do
is get up, unplug, and go back to bed. I don't even have to be completely
awake.

David Lininger, LMS
Hickory County R-1 Schools
Urbana, MO 65767