 I've enjoyed the memories shared here.  I think
I have finally separated my real childhood memories from my early
years as an elementary librarian.  Yes we do suggest our
generation by the titles that were favorites.  I remember little
of the early years, but my mother read to us from _Heidi_, then I
guess I started off on my own, with most of the Black
Stallion/Island Stallion books, the Borrowers stories--loved so
much that I used to make tiny furniture out of clay and wooden
spools and stuff.  I read _Karen_ and _Cheaper by the Dozen_ and
the sequels, plus the Trapp family stories.

My grandmother was always buying books for us, and I really loved
a set of Grimm's tales with black and white drawings--still have
those books, with old church envelopes stuck in the back for
pockets, and 3x5 cards for borrowing.  Did anyone else play
library?  I can't recall the name of the set.  One of my earliest
favorite things was my third grade reader (Ginn) with brightly
colored illustrations.  I never forgot that 500th hat of
Bartholomew's!

It's been funny listening to the younger writers--I read your
favorites when I started my elementary job--_Charlotte's Web_,
Judy Bolton books, Trixie Belden, more I've forgotten.  Some of
them may have been fluff, but there were also family values and
feel-good stories, and I say what's wrong with that?  That
reminds me--my mother rarely criticized what I read, but I always
remember her saying "What kind of 16-year-old girl has her own
car and runs around as much as Nancy Drew does?" ;-)

Thanks for the memories.

Kathy--librarian since age 10 ;-)

Kathy Hintz                     Hintz@vaxa.sunycgcc.edu
Librarian-Etc