I have received several questions concerning the evaluation process the Y2K
Task Force of librarians followed.  I have requested from the technology
department an electronic format of the RFP the district sent out, the
initial evaluation form, and an electronic format of the scenario and
questions the committee sent to the vendors to include in the presentations.
If you would like a copy in Word 7 format, I should have the files by next
week.

All committee members were required to turn in the evaluations of RFPs so I
don't have a copy.  I can tell you what I did as a committee member.  After
receiving the seven responses to the initial RFP, each committee member read
each RFP notating whether the system could or could not do each of the items
on the RFP.  The committee had particular requirements that had to be met.
If the company responded no to this requirement, then that system was
eliminated.  For example, one requirement from the networking department was
that the system architecture be 100% 32-bit.  One well-known system was
eliminated from our consideration due to a no response to this requirement.
The technology department did contact the vendor to make sure that the
system did not meet our requirement.  Each member on the committee noted the
no responses for the various items on the RFP that would affect the everyday
operation of the system by the librarians and evaluated the responses to the
initial selection criteria below.  The committee also notated the strengths
of the system.  Each committee member had to sign their names to this
evaluation.  We used the criteria selection developed by another district to
rank the systems.

Initial Selection Criteria (For selection of vendor finalists)
40% Price
30% Technical Support
20% Vendor Experience, Reputation, and Viability
10% Training Costs

The seven systems were then ranked by each member of the committee.  Three
systems scored significantly below the remaining four.  One of the four
systems remaining, one did not meet the 32-bit architecture requirement and
was eliminated. The committee recommended that we view demonstrations of the
three remaining systems.  Demo disks or cdroms of the systems were available
to all librarians prior to the vendor presentations.  Then all librarians
met for the presentations by the vendors.  Each librarian had to attend all
three presentations to be eligible to vote.  The vote was taken at the end
of the third presentation.  Following lunch break, the committee members met
to tally the responses and apply the following criteria to the systems.

Final Selection Criteria
30% Price
20% Ease of Use
20% Technical Support
10% Training Costs
10% Network Installation and Compatibility
10% Additional Products or Unique Features Provided to the District FREE OF
CHARGE

Even though the librarians voted overwhelmingly for one system, the
committee had the responsibility of making sure that the system selected
must be the best for the district.  Each member of the committee had to list
reasons why they would or not recommend the system after viewing the
demonstrations and applying the final selection criteria. The vendor for the
first choice of systems was asked to install the product on the district's
network before final approval could be given by the committee.
Fortunately, when all factors were considered, the choice of the librarians
and the ranking of the systems by the committee members was the same system,
Alexandria by CompanionCorp.