Hi LM_NETters!
Magi Evans mentioned that the Little Golden Books that she grew up reading
were slightly different from the ones that you buy now.  In some cases, they
are substantially different.  It seems to me that I recall seeing an
explanation for it about 20 years ago.  As I recall, they wanted to have a
standard book length and reading level, whereas the originals were a highly
diverse group.  "The Pokey Little Puppy" was around 49 pages originally, and
a challenging read.
Book publishers like to keep the page totals in multiples of 16.  That's why
most kids books are now a standard 32 pages long.  Some will stretch to 64,
but even with novel length books, they still stick to the multiples of 16.
It has to do with the size of the paper used.  They will print 8pg. on one
side of the paper, then flip it, and print another 8pg.  Then they will fold
the paper and cut it.  All of this is done by machine.  The machine cannot
handle an odd number of pages.  Up until about 20 years ago, many of the
"Little Golden Books" had been out of print, but the Baby Boomers wanted to
read to their kids, the books that they had grown up reading, and it was
decided to reprint them, editing judiciously.  Maybe they thought that no one
would notice the difference.  That's all I really remember, maybe someone
knows more?  Marcy

Marcia Berbeza
substitute
Christina Sch. Dist.