------=_NextPart_000_010B_01BE8CDC.088E7480

Just wanted to put in my thoughts concerning library visits for young =
people.  I don't know your personal school situation, but I'm a =
librarian in a Montessori school whose student body ranges from one year =
to 14 years.  Starting at age 3, the children come to me weekly for =
story time and book borrowing.  The 3--5 year olds arrive for the first =
time during the 3rd week of school, while the rest of the children start =
immediately during the first week.  Each child is encouraged to browse =
the library and find a book of interest to take home and share with the =
family.  There is no greater joy than to watch the children gather =
several books, sit down and look through them, and then choose the =
perfect one.   Each child has a decorated paint stirrer that is used to =
mark the shelf location of the book that is currently being perused.  If =
it is not the chosen book, then the child knows exactly where to =
reshelve it (making my job easier for reshelving!).  If the book is =
chosen, then I merely remove the paint stirrer to have ready for the =
next class.   We do discuss care and responsibility for the books; At =
the beginning of each year, I send home a colorful flyer indicating the =
child's library day of the week, library responsibilities, etc.  My rule =
of thumb is that no child leave the library unhappy.  If he or she =
"forgets" to return a book, I send a note home to the parents reminding =
them of library day, along with a new choice.  Rarely do I have severely =
overdue books.  Most importantly, I can count only one occasion when the =
book was poorly mishandled - and that was by the parent who spilled =
coffee on it!

My time period is for 30" with between 8-15 children per time.  Starting =
at age 5, no teacher remains with the class and I do not have any =
library aides and only 2 volunteers who come for 2 hours each week.  It =
is hectic; classes are back-to-back; I would not trade it for the =
world!!   I cannot tell you how many parents come up to me and state =
that the library is one of the favorite "specials" for their children =
because they are always encouraged to take books home no matter what!

------=_NextPart_000_010B_01BE8CDC.088E7480

<HTML>
<HEAD>

http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#000000 size=3D2>Just wanted to put in my thoughts =
concerning=20
library visits for young people.&nbsp; I don't know your personal school =

situation, but I'm a librarian in a Montessori school whose student body =
ranges=20
from one year to 14 years.&nbsp; Starting at age 3, the children come to =
me=20
weekly for story time and book borrowing.&nbsp; The 3--5 year olds =
arrive for=20
the first time during the 3rd week of school, while the rest of the =
children=20
start immediately during the first week.&nbsp; Each child is encouraged =
to=20
browse the library and find a book of interest to take home and share =
with the=20
family.&nbsp; There is no greater joy than to watch the children gather =
several=20
books, sit down and look through them, and then choose the perfect=20
one.&nbsp;&nbsp; Each child has a decorated paint stirrer that is used =
to mark=20
the shelf location of the book that is currently being perused.&nbsp; If =
it is=20
not the chosen book, then the child knows exactly where to reshelve it =
(making=20
my job easier for reshelving!).&nbsp; If the book is chosen, then I =
merely=20
remove the paint stirrer to have ready for the next class.&nbsp;&nbsp; =
We do=20
discuss care and responsibility for the books; At the beginning of each =
year, I=20
send home a colorful flyer indicating the child's library day of the =
week,=20
library responsibilities, etc.&nbsp; My rule of thumb is that no child =
leave the=20
library unhappy.&nbsp; If he or she &quot;forgets&quot; to return a =
book, I send=20
a note home to the parents reminding them of library day, along with a =
new=20
choice.&nbsp; Rarely do I have severely overdue books.&nbsp; Most =
importantly, I=20
can count only one occasion when the book was poorly mishandled - and =
that was=20
by the parent who spilled coffee on it!</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#000000 size=3D2>My time period is for 30&quot; with =
between 8-15=20
children per time.&nbsp; Starting at age 5, no teacher remains with the =
class=20
and I do not have any library aides and only 2 volunteers who come for 2 =
hours=20
each week.&nbsp; It is hectic; classes are back-to-back; I would not =
trade it=20
for the world!!&nbsp;&nbsp; I cannot tell you how many parents come up =
to me and=20
state that the library is one of the favorite &quot;specials&quot; for =
their=20
children because they are always encouraged to take books home no matter =

what!</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_010B_01BE8CDC.088E7480--