Dear 'Netters,
I, too, have been receiving copies of the paintball magazine. After the
post earlier this week, I received my 3rd copy of it. I normally take it
home to throw away (so students can't dig it out of the trash!) but
after the posts this week, I decided to write the publisher to let them
know how I feel about it. Here is the email I sent to them:

"As a high school librarian, I have received 3 issues of your very
offensive magazine, paintball 2-Xtremes.
Up to now, I have merely thrown it away as junk. I have recently found
out that high school libraries all over the country have been receiving
free copies. Instead of throwing it away, we all felt it would be better
to let you, the publisher, know how offensive and inappropriate it is to
a high school library.

Ads that say things such as: "...Do you have enough balls to stay in the
game?" and an ad with little paintballs that look like sperm that says
"we were in first" and full page, color ads  of dangerous looking
weapons are REALLY hard to justify to parents as to the appropiateness
in a high school setting.
Since we are a Christian high school, the families that send their
children to us for an education expect a lot more than trash such as
this.

Right now, I'm sure the weapons ads are especially sensitive considering
the Littleton, CO situation. I feel you should have much more
sensitivity to teens than pushing this magazine.

Please take my school's name off your subscription list IMMEDIATELY. I
also think you should reconsider marketing your magazine in the high
school library market: it is NOT appropriate.

Label info for removal:"

I also saw inside the issue that the free copies to high school
libraries are being provided as a GIFT from "Kingman International".
There's a huge doublepage ad promoting a $5,000.00 scholarship from this
corporation in the issue, too. They don't publish an email address but
they do their website. I plan on visiting that as well to let them know
of my displeasure.

Darcy Stepka
Librarian
Bishop Garcia Diego HS