I do not have flex scheduling, all are set in stone, 30 min. period per
classroom each week. If I did not have as a policy of all items in before
their class meets on the day of class, I would have too many items out, and
would not be available for other students to read.  Too many students think
it's fun to keep out books that are popular.  This is not fair to those who
return their items on time.  There will always be irresponsible
students/parents/guardians who don't care if materials are returned on
time.  Why should irresponsible students be allowed to check out? Where is
the lesson on responsiblity?  I believe as educators this is our job to
teach responsibility. Especially if their parents/guardians won't.
Allowing stduents who will not return library materials should not be
rewarded.  I reward the students who are responsible.  As for the class who
has the same student(s) overdue week after week, they  do not punish the
class as a whole.
The teachers even try and help by giving their own rewards to those who
return their items on time.  This I appreciate.

Any student who needs a book for extra time may  renew the needed item.
Special project books are given a longer due date.  Allowances are always
made.

And yes, I have had a fine on public library books.  There isn't any choice
at my regional public library to errase my fine. Doesn't matter if it is
for my school library.  All  teachers are held accountable for any overdue
and lost items that they borrow for their class.  When I am overdue and owe
a fine, I am not allowed to borrow until the items are returned or paid
for.  This is responsiblility on my part as an adult and teacher.
JoAnn Faucett, elem. librarian
Oak Creek, WI
ffaucett@execpc.com