Thanks, crew...great ideas = happy teacher!!!!
:-)

Best to all....

Seymour Simon books flow like fiction,
Gail Gibbons for the younger crowd
*************************
Gary Paulson's "My Life in Dog Years" which is
classified biography but reads like fiction?
*************************
The Giraffe That Walked to Paris by Nancy Milton
(599.73 in Dewey) ,
Jumbo by Rhoda Blumberg (791.3)
El Chino by Allen Say (a biography).
*************************
Burleigh, Robert -- Flight: The Journey of
Charles Lindbergh

Maestro, Betsy (any book by this author)--Coming
to America or The Story of the Statue of Liberty

Gibbons, Gail (any book by this author) -- Sunken
Treasure

Cherry, Lynn -- A River Ran Wild
*************************
Last year I read, My Life In Dog Years by Gary
Paulsen to my fifth graders and they really
enjoyed it.  Also something like Rascal or Owls
in the Family might work.  Then too there might
be something in the nonfiction WWII section that
would read more like a fiction
title, you'd need to be selective though with
this young of an audience.  I'm thinking of
titles
along the Diary of Anne Frank line.
*************************
I had good success with "Wilma Unlimited" by
Kathleen Krull  and "Lou Gehrig: The Luckiest
Man" by Adler.  These were well received by 3rd
graders and 5th graders alike.  Good biographies
in picture book format.  Another nice one is
"Young Abe Lincoln" by Harness.
*************************
Arnold, Caroline.  South American Animals.
Esbensen, Barbara Juster.  Words With Wrinkled
Knees
Fraser, Mary Ann.  Where are the Night Animals?
Mason, Cherie.  Wild Fox: A True Story
Howler, Janni.  Walk with a Wolf.
George, Twig.  A Dolphin Named Bob
Lesser, Carolyn.  Storm on the Desert
*************************
The "I Was There" series (at least, I think
that's the series title.) Includes "On Board the
Titanic," one about Pompeii, one about the Ice
Mummy, and the most recent one about the first
men on the moon.

"Sky Pioneer" (bio of Amelia Earhart) kids are
fascinated with her imperfect life and how she
overcame the setbacks with a great deal of spirit
and joy.

"Trapped in the Ice" and "Shipwreck at the Bottom
of the World." (both on Shackleton's "failed"
mission to Antarctica. The first is a picture
book version that I use for the actual Read and
Tell, and then back up with the other, which has
lots of great black and white photos of the
expedition.

"The Flag We Love" and "The Scrambled States of
America." I use Scrambled first to get everyone
in a good mood and show the individuality of the
states, then use Flag to show the unity we have
as a country and respect for our symbol.
*************************
Any of the Jean Fritz biographies!
*************************
How about some of the Magic Schoolbus books?
There are a number of good dinosaur books;
Aliki's *My Visit to the Dinosaurs* and *Digging
up Dinosaurs* and *Dinosaur Bones* or Joanna
Cole's *Dinosaur Story* would be good, or perhaps
you have something newer.  Then, you could work
in a few of the poems from Arnold Lobel's
*Tyrannosaurus Was a Beast.*  A few more that
come to mind are Carol Carrick's *The Crocodiles
Still Wait* and Gail Gibbons' *Dinosaurs.* Do you
have Tomie dePaola's *Popcorn Book*? KoKo's
Kitten, about a gorilla who had a pet kitten, is
good. Many books by Franklyn Branley and Russell
Freedman could be used.  How about some books
with great color photos of the planets, say by
Seymour Simon?Do you have any of the National
Geographic Society "Books for Young Explorers" or
"Books for World Explorers" series? I just
re-read your request.  I think what I've
suggested might be a little young for 5th grade,
but for what it's worth, here it is.  Hope it
helps.
*************************
Jean Craighead George's _There's a Tarantula in
my purse_ comes to mind. I have Sterling North's
book about the raccoon _Rascal_ in both fiction
and non-fiction. Also Mowat's _Owl in the
Family_. All sorts of biographies would do. Many
picture books nowadays are non-fiction and are
superb and their great short lengths are ideal
for a quick read aloud.
*************************
Koko's Kitten by Patterson
Tiger with Wings - The Great Horned Owl
But you're right, it's hard. You have to give
them something to do to keep  them focused.
*************************
Biographies are good read-alouds or some of
Patricia Lauber's books, such as Volcano (about
Mt. St. Helen's).
*************************
I've been using books by Gail Gibbons qiute a bit
with my k-2 students. I  also met a wonderful
author last summer and would like to recommend
some of  his material- his name is Bruce Hiscock
and he writes mostly about Alaska, although he
lives here in upstate New York.
*************************
new picture book format that is a biography of
Georgia O'Keefe called, Georgia; another is the
story (picture book) called "Wild Boy" about a
young boy found int he woods in France during the
turn of the century which a doctor tried to
rehabilitate; another is "Snowflake"...there is a
beautiful one about spiders...with poems which I
will try to dig up the title of for you.
*************************
I love the Great World Diasters, the is one on
Pompei that is terrific. Also Polar the Titanic
Bear is great, this is also a great place to
discuss that fairy tales are nonfiction.  Use The
Rumpenzel by Zelinsky. I do that at 4th grade and
they loved it.  I do a civil war primary source
for my 5th grade.
I sometimes read The New True Books aloud to
children.

===
T. K. Cassidy, MLIS   tkc@storylady.com - http://storylady.com
Stepping up to an Information Power Library - Aldert Root, Raleigh NC

85% of what goes on in a writer's head is none of their business.
                - Stephen King *Bag of Bones*