Here's some more.

Lori K Joffe
Librarian
Bensalem High School
Bensalem, PA
lkjof@icdc.com

I think this has been discussed, have you checked the archives?  A lot
of us set priorities of classes over study halls so the study hall kids
are limited in number.

Not sure if you mean (by library as study hall) that students are
actually
scheduled to the library as a fixed study hall, or just that the library
is
available to students from their assigned study hall rooms. We work with
the
latter. We keep a plan book available on our circulation desk, and
teachers
can schedule classes as needed into the plan book. We check that every
morning, and if classes are scheduled for the day, we have it on our
morning
announcements that the library will be closed for whatever periods are
involved. We use 2 types of passes for study hall students--book and
research. Depending on the scheduled class, how large it is, whether I
will
be instructing, etc. we can close the library to all but the research
passes
when a class is scheduled, for example.  My library only seats 32, so I
am
limited in how many I can allow at one time. If you have any questions,
just
email me.

We no longer have study halls due to block scheduling, but when we did I

was running into the same problem.  At first, we limited the number of
kids
who couldcome from the study halls in a given period.  Then we went to a

Reference and Recreational Pass system.  Each study hall still got the
same
number of students allowed into the library but now that number was
split
equally between reference and recreational passes.  A reference pass,
indicated with a large R on the pass, meant that the kid had research
work to
do in the library.  Violation of that would result in the removal of
privileges of a certain time.  By doing this, I decreased the
recreational
sitters by half every period.  Believe me, it saved our day!!!!!!

I have this problem too.  I guess we all do. My headmaster wants the
students to be able to come freely into the library, but he leaves it up
me what I will tolerate from LURKERS.

My real problem is I don't like to kick kids out......I think it sets a
bad
tone in the library, so I struggle with this.

e are a very large school - 2500+ students.  We have this info in a
detailed form that the students must read and sign.  If they break the
rules they can't come back.

If the library is booked with classes study hall cannot come

Students are allowed to come twice a week, unless his subject teacher
writes him a pass stating his assignment.  If he doesn't have a purpose
for coming he should stay in study hall.

Students may lose this privilege.

Students must sign in and leave pass at circ desk

Study hall students are to sit one to a table.  There will be no
lounging

Student limit 10 (when I was in a smaller school it was 5)

Students can only come during the last 20 minutes of the period

Students must:
sign out at study hall and arrive at media center in 5 minutes (adjust
time based on distance of rooms)
must have an individual pass with them
must sign-in at circ desk
bell rings and students report to next class.  They are not allowed to
leave the media center for any reason... if they do they can't come
back.