I'll try to make this the last bit.

Lori K Joffe
Librarian
Bensalem High School
lkjof@icdc.com

My high school library is not used as a study hall  because I have
flexible
scheduling.  Students are allowed to sign-up for the library in the
morning
and I send a list to study hall  teachers letting them know that the
those
students listed are allowed to come to the study hall .  These students
leave their study hall  and sign in at the library.  They do not leave
the
library for any reason, including returning to study hall .  If they do
not
behave, they are not allowed to return for awhile, even if they sign-up.

Also, the library is incorporated into the curriculum of almost every
class
in the school and are permitted to bring their classes at anytime.  Of
course, scheduling with me is more beneficial for me and the class.
But, I
still accept them even if they don't let me know they are coming.  My
Principal then sees that we are always busy in the library with students
and
cannot possibly have a full study hall  there.

Using the sign in sheet for names during a fire drill is an EXCELLENT
idea,
thanks so much

I am at a jr. high with about 750 students.  I have different passes
that
students use to enter the library.  They can use a hall pass to come
from a
classroom during class.  From study hall they can get a green pass (in
advance) from their classroom teacher to work on an assignment or finish

research etc.  The study hall teacher can issue a 10 min. pink pass.
Students are allowed in the library for 10 min. to get a book, magazine,

read the newspaper etc.  Students need to watch their own time and only
five students are allowed at a time.  It sounds mean, but it cuts down
on
the kids who come to visit.  We also have a purple pass that is used for

students who need to use the Internet.  That pass must be given to me or
my
aide.  We get the student started on their research and can keep an eye
on
them to make sure they are on task.  Instead of calling it the "study
hall
problem", I approached my faculty from the standpoint of increased
student
learning.  (less distractions, more available help for students)  I
wrote a
memo for faculty outlining this procedure.  I can send you a copy if you

would like.

Good luck, it is hard to stop the social interaction when students come
the library.  I am hoping to make it more managable.

Hi. I have the same problem. I have another problem in that study hall
teachers send all the kids to the library so they have a "free period."
Thankfully, I have the support of the principal and we have limited the
number of students allowed in the library. After that I make sure that
everyone is working on something, If not, I put them to work. I don't
mind
the kids coming in to do their work as I have worked hard to create a
pleasant atmosphere but being productive is key. It will take time to
change
the "library as study hall" mentality. Implement policies in small
stages to
get you toward that goal.

I fought this battle a few years ago when I was the new librarian at the

Junior High School (before we built a new building, became a middle
school,
and eliminated all study halls). There was a study hall in a classroom
with
a teacher to attend it, but the teacher loved to let the students go to
the
library, thus eliminating most of his workload.   I (with the  full
support
of my principal) instituted the following rules:
1. Students coming from study hall must have a reason to use the library

(studying from a textbook or anything else that could be done in the
study
hall was to be done there).
2. Each student sat at a separate table so that study hall students
couldn't group together to visit.
3.  If they said they had a purpose to use the library, but did not
appear
to be carrying out such a purpose, they were returned to study hall, and

the next time they came they had to have a pass from the teacher of the
subject for which they were doing the research.
4.  They could come once a week to check out a book for pleasure
reading,
but they had a 10 minute time limit to select and return.
The study hall teacher, naturally, wasn't too thrilled, but it worked
for
me.

It is almost impossible to cut out the library as a study hall
destination,
especially if it has been used that way for a long time.  Our school has

study halls in many different rooms every period so no one knows what
the
other study halls are doing as far as numbers of students sent to the
library.  I have solved the problem a little be setting rules:

   1.   Students must have a pass from a teacher.  On the pass they tell
me
why the student is coming to the library.     If the student has been
sent
for a specific purpose and is not doing what he/she is supposed to be
doing,
they get sent back to their assigned studyhall.     If  my time is spent

policing students who are just hanging out in the media center, I can't
help
those students who actually need assistance.

   2.  I limit the number of study hall students I will take.   I am not
study hall monitor.

   3. On the other hand, I want the students to feel welcome in the
Media
Center so if we are not busy with students doing research, I allow more
study hall students who don't have a real purpose for being there.  I
tell
them that they can come into the Media Center and hang out but if we
start
getting busy and I need the seats, they will have to go.  When the Media

Center is not busy, we have been known to play music, let the kids sit
and
talk, etc.  We have to be careful with this,  if they become too
comfortable
with me, they do not understand when I have to toss them out because
they are
being too noisy etc.