Part 2 has single author sites and miscellaneous information Again here is=20
the code for how I rated the sites.

* =3D The site worked when I tried it.
** =3D There are activities or lesson plans at this site.  It is useable for=20
elementary teachers.
+ =3D I thought it was well worthwhile
> =3D I thought that kids would enjoy visiting here.

No mark =3D I didn't have time to try it or was unable to connect when I did=
,=20
but I still think it's a viable site

Single Authors -=20

**Aliki- <A=20
HREF=3D"http://falcon.jmu.edu/~ramseyil/aliki.htm">http://falcon.jmu.edu/~ra=
msey
il/aliki.htm</A>=20

**>American Girls - ( This address bypasses the sales pitch).  I have girls=20
in my school who would love the secret decoder which you can print out and=20
use to send secret messages, but their teachers will hate me if I give it to=20
them.  My guess is that the content of this activities page changes on a=20
regular basis, so if you want to see the decoder, better check it out soon. =20
Also this site has a guide for downloading plug-ins which might be good to=20
recommend to some of your patrons) <A=20
HREF=3D"http://www.americangirl.com/homepage2.html">http://www.americangirl.=
com/
homepage2.html</A>

** Caroline Arnold - <A=20
HREF=3D"http://www.geocities.com/Athens/1264/projects.html=20
">http://www.geocities.com/Athens/1264/projects.html </A>

*Tedd Arnold - <A=20
HREF=3D"http://www.geocities.com/~teddarnold/">http://www.geocities.com/~ted=
darn
old/</A>=20

**+> T. A. Barron -(A content-rich site, mostly for fans but there is a=20
teacher and librarian link, where you can send for a free package of goodies=
,=20
and a nice explanation of his writing process.  You can print out maps from=20
the books (nice model if you wanted your kids to create a map in connection=20
with a book they were reading); but if you try to download them or copy them=
,=20
you will get a copyright notice--The wave of the future, I expect)  <A=20
HREF=3D"http://www.tabarron.com/">http://www.tabarron.com/</A>

**+>Berenstain Bears - <A=20
HREF=3D"http://www.berenstainbears.com">http://www.berenstainbears.com</A>  =
( I=20
rarely read these books to my students because  (1.) They're already popular=20
so I don't need to promote them (2) When my own kids used to bring them home=
,=20
my husband used to complain about their sexist nature - bumbling dad=20
syndrome, and he has a point.  However the site is well done and has=20
curriculum related activities that my teachers will enjoy such as a puzzle=20
about the seasons.  There is also a checkbook kit which you can download if=20
you have a PC.  I have a MAC, so I can't comment but it certainly sounded=20
intriguing.  I think kids would love having a pretend checkbook.=20

**+>Jan Brett (Everybody knows about this site.  She really gets it right,=20
doesn't she?.  It is the most directly aimed at teachers and students in=20
school that I have seen) - <A=20
HREF=3D"http://www.janbrett.com">http://www.janbrett.com</A> =20

*Marc Brown: (Activities at this site appeared to be linked from the PBS=20
site) - <A=20
HREF=3D"http://www.scholastic.com/Instructor/theme/special1/mentork1.htm">ht=
tp:/
/www.scholastic.com/Instructor/theme/special1/mentork1.htm</A>

**+>Arthur - <A=20
HREF=3D"http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/arthur/">http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages=
/art
hur/</A>

**+>Eric Carle (There are ideas posted under the bulletin board link. Check=20
out his ideas for Hello Red Fox) - <A=20
HREF=3D"http://www.eric-carle.com/">http://www.eric-carle.com/</A>   =20

*Nancy Carlson - (This one seemed  kind of heavy on the sales pitch) - <A=20
HREF=3D"http://www.nancycarlson.com/">http://www.nancycarlson.com/</A>=20

**>Curious George (Mostly samples from the CD's,  but the ole monkey is=20
visiting classrooms around the country and your students might like to keep=20
up with him - <A=20
HREF=3D"http://www.curiousgeorge.com/">http://www.curiousgeorge.com/</A>

*Roald Dahl - a fan site <A HREF=3D"http://www.roalddahl.org=20
">http://www.roalddahl.org</A><A HREF=3D"http://www.roalddahl.org "> </A>

*Leo and Diane Dillon - <A=20
HREF=3D"http://falcon.jmu.edu/~ramseyil/dillon.htm">http://falcon.jmu.edu/~r=
amse
yil/dillon.htm</A>=20

**Debra Hopkinson =96 (There are links to sites to help use Sweet Clara and =
the=20
Freedom Quilt and Band of Angels in the classroom-also a link to download he=
r=20
interview on National Public Radio Keep in mind if you do Black History) - <=
A=20
HREF=3D"http://people.whitman.edu/~hopkinda/">http://people.whitman.edu/~hop=
kind
a/</A>

*+> Brian Jacques Redwall - The Redwall Encyclopedia (This is a fan site=20
compiled by a teenaged girl, but wow!  This is a model of what we'd like our=20
students to be able to do.  Every character is listed either alphabetically=20
or by book. It's well designed and fun to read) - <A=20
HREF=3D"http://www.execpc.com/~sulliva1/encyc.html">http://www.execpc.com/~s=
ulli
va1/encyc.html</A>

*+>The official Redwall site -  <A=20
HREF=3D"http://redwall.org">http://redwall.org</A>

**William Joyce -   <A=20
HREF=3D"http://www.harperchildrens.com/williamjoyce/">http://www.harperchild=
rens
.com/williamjoyce/</A>

*Ezra Jack Keats    <A HREF=3D"http://www.lib.usm.edu/~degrum/keats/main.htm=
l=20
">http://www.lib.usm.edu/~degrum/keats/main.html</A>

*The Tesseract: Madeleine L'Engle http://members.aol.com/kfbofpql/LEngl.html

**+Suse MacDonald - (Interesting stuff about Alphbatics, Numblers, etc. from=20
this very creative author/illustrator)  <A=20
HREF=3D"http://www.create4kids.com/index.html">http://www.create4kids.com/in=
dex.
html</A>

**+>Madeline  (This site from the publisher of the CD's is really intended=20
for kids at home, but if you have Madeline fans and the resources, there are=20
cute things to download and print) - =20
    <A=20
HREF=3D"http://www.cwonders.com/cwonders/madeline/download.html">http://www.=
cwon
ders.com/cwonders/madeline/download.html</A>.  There is a map game--I can't=20
remember if I downloaded it or tried it out on line.  =20

*>Munsch, Robert - <A=20
HREF=3D"http://www.robertmunsch.com/">http://www.robertmunsch.com/</A>

**+>Dav Pilkey - <A HREF=3D"http://www.pilkey.com">http://www.pilkey.com</A> =20

**+>Peter Rabbit http://www.peterrabbit.co.uk/

**+.Polacco, Patricia (Share the 'Stop the Teasing buttons and bookmarks wit=
h=20
your counselor) - <A=20
HREF=3D"http://www.patriciapolacco.com/">http://www.patriciapolacco.com/</A> =20

*Raffi - <A=20
HREF=3D"http://www.raffiautobiography.com/">http://www.raffiautobiography.co=
m/</

Wilson Rawls - From Idaho Falls Public Library=20
http://pac.eils.lib.id.us/rawls.html

Reading Rainbow - (Looks like this is gone now, except through GPN for big=20
bucks) <A=20
HREF=3D"http://www.pbs.org/readingrainbow/">http://www.pbs.org/readingrainbo=
w/</

*Rylant, Cynthia - <A HREF=3D"http://www.rylant.com/">http://www.rylant.com/=
</A>

*Antoine de Saint-Exupery  - <A=20
HREF=3D"http://www.westegg.com/exupery/">http://www.westegg.com/exupery/</A>

** John Scieszka        <A=20
HREF=3D"http://falcon.jmu.edu/~ramseyil/scieszka.htm">http://falcon.jmu.edu/=
~ram
seyil/scieszka.htm</A>
**+ >Jon Scieszka and Lane Smith (Requires shockwave) - <A=20
HREF=3D"http://www.chucklebait.com/">http://www.chucklebait.com/</A>

**+>Dr. Seuss - <A=20
HREF=3D"http://www.randomhouse.com/seussville">www.randomhouse.com/seussvill=
e</A
> =20

**+Aaron Shepherd (Reader's Theatre) - (This site is a great example of how=20
to create a market for your work by using the Internet. He gives you just=20
enough for free to be useful and to tantalize you into wanting more. =20
Reader's theater stories are listed by grade level) -<A=20
HREF=3D"http://www.aaronshep.com/index.html#stories">http://www.aaronshep.co=
m/in
dex.html#stories</A>                       =20

*Janet Stevens - <A=20
HREF=3D"http://www.janetstevens.com/">http://www.janetstevens.com/</A>=20

Trelease, Jim - <A=20
HREF=3D"http://www.treleasereading.com/">http://www.treleasereading.com/</A>

Rick Walton - Make sure your Language arts teachers know about this one, and=20
you will like it too.  See curriculum links and especially word play. There=20
are anagrams, long lists of words which contain only one of the vowels,=20
alphabets such as the Imaginary places alphabet or the ecology alphabet whic=
h=20
should jump start some ideas for student projects, cockney rhyme slang, a=20
list of 2275 compound words and much more.  You can also find out what famou=
s=20
people share your initials. 5th graders would love this, I think. -  <A=20
HREF=3D"http://users.itsnet.com/~rickwalton/
">http://users.itsnet.com/~rickwalton/
</A>
*+David Wisniewski - <A=20
HREF=3D"http://www.scils.rutgers.edu/special/kay/golem.html=20
">http://www.scils.rutgers.edu/special/kay/golem.html </A>

**Laura Ingalls Wilder- <A=20
HREF=3D"http://www.pinc.com/~jenslegg/activity.htm">http://www.pinc.com/~jen=
sleg
g/activity.htm</A> =20

**+>Winnie-the-Pooh & Friends: (Requires lots of plug-ins) <A=20
HREF=3D"http://www.worldkids.net/pooh/100aker.html">http://www.worldkids.net=
/poo
h/100aker.html</A>=20

**+>Wood, Audrey - <A=20
HREF=3D"http://www.audreywood.com/">http://www.audreywood.com/</A> =20

PUBLISHERS WHO HAVE AUTHOR & BOOK CONTENT
HarperCollins - *<A=20
HREF=3D"http://www.harperchildrens.com/index.htm">http://www.harperchildrens=
.com
/index.htm</A>
William Morrow authors  -       *<A=20
HREF=3D"http://www.williammorrow.com/wm/childrens/authorsweb.html">http://ww=
w.wi
lliammorrow.com/wm/childrens/authorsweb.html</A>
Simon and Schuster - *<A=20
HREF=3D"http://www.simonsays.com/kids/">http://www.simonsays.com/kids/</A>

Scholastic                  *<A=20
HREF=3D"http://scholastic.com/">http://scholastic.com/</A>
=A8 Animorphs             *<A=20
HREF=3D"http://scholastic.com/animorphs/">http://scholastic.com/animorphs/</=

=A8 Baby Sitters' Club        <A=20
HREF=3D"http://scholastic.com/annmartin/">http://scholastic.com/annmartin/</=

=A8 Clifford the Big Red Dog  <A=20
HREF=3D"http://www.scholastic.com/clifford/">http://www.scholastic.com/cliff=
ord/
</A>
=A8 Dear America diaries  <A=20
HREF=3D"http://scholastic.com/dearamerica/">http://scholastic.com/dearameric=
a/</

=A8 Goosebumps                <A=20
HREF=3D"http://scholastic.com/goosebumps/indexa.htm">http://scholastic.com/g=
oose
bumps/indexa.htm</A>
=A8 I Spy                     *<A=20
HREF=3D"http://scholastic.com/ispy/">http://scholastic.com/ispy/</A>
=A8 Magic School Bus          <A=20
HREF=3D"http://scholastic.com/magicschoolbus/">http://scholastic.com/magicsc=
hool
bus/</A>
=A8 Various authors           <A=20
HREF=3D"http://scholastic.com/tradebks/authorshome.htm">http://scholastic.co=
m/tr
adebks/authorshome.htm</A>

AWARDS
Caldecott Awards        <A=20
HREF=3D"http://www.ala.org/alsc/caldecott.html">http://www.ala.org/alsc/cald=
ecot
t.html</A>
Newbery Awards      <A=20
HREF=3D"http://www.ala.org/alsc/newbery.html">http://www.ala.org/alsc/newber=
y.ht
ml</A>

MISCELLANEOUS  LITERATURE-BASED SITES
*American Library Assn: - *+<A=20
HREF=3D"http://www.ala.org/parentspage/greatsites/">http://www.ala.org/paren=
tspa
ge/greatsites/</A>
Travel Games - <A=20
HREF=3D"http://www.nationalgeographic.com/features/97/bureau/">http://www.na=
tion
algeographic.com/features/97/bureau/</A>
Younger Children -**+> <A=20
HREF=3D"http://www.enchantedlearning.com/">http://www.enchantedlearning.com/=
</A>
 (This can be VERY slow to                              load)
*Reading Lists - <A=20
HREF=3D"http://www.concord.k12.nh.us/schools/rundlett/rl/">http://www.concor=
d.k1
2.nh.us/schools/rundlett/rl/</A>
*About.com Books for kids - <A=20
HREF=3D"http://kidsbooks.about.com/">http://kidsbooks.about.com/</A>
*Invite an Author to your school - <A=20
HREF=3D"http://www.snowcrest.net/kidpower/authors.html">http://www.snowcrest=
.net
/kidpower/authors.html</A>

*Penguin Author appearance pages <A=20
HREF=3D"http://www.penguinputnam.com/yreaders/educate/appear/penguin/">http:=
//ww
w.penguinputnam.com/yreaders/educate/appear/penguin/</A>

One Final Caveat.
I wanted interactive sites for small children which I could list in my=20
resource list for our curriculum.  Ultimately I found more than enough.  But=20
as I tested site after site, I found myself thinking that this was a lot lik=
e=20
using an old Apple IIe only, with my 28.8 modem, even slower. =20

Paula Neale, LMS
Ingels Elementary School
Kansas City, MO  64134
816-761-4343