Recently, Jeannie Bellavance posted information about an impending visit
with Roland Smith to the DC area.  I, too, have heard wonderful things
about Roland's presentations.  In fact, he is one of the authors that
Jane Kurtz and I interviewed for our new book on
author/illustrator/storyteller visits.

In a similar vein, I have information to share about children's author
Franny Billingsley, who will be speaking in Maine this October, but who
is also available for visits to other parts of the country.  She is a
dynamic speaker!

****************

Children's author Franny Billingsley is interested in contacting schools
and libraries who are looking for visiting authors.  She's spoken to
many groups of children and parents in her hometown of Chicago, and now,
with the publication of her second book, she is broadening her base and
will be speaking to groups around the country.

Franny's playful, interactive program relies on physical props and
metaphor games to explore elements of the writing process, such as
characterization, story structure, translating idea into story, and
revision.

Franny's first book, WELL WISHED, received two starred reviews and was
a 1997 SLJ Best Book.  Her second book, THE FOLK KEEPER, is due
out in October and has already received a starred review from BOOKLIST.

For more information ABOUT FRANNY'S PROGRAMS AND FEE STRUCTURE, contact
her at Franny Billingsley <rhpetten@midway.uchicago.edu.>, 773-324-5637

Toni Buzzeo, MA, MLIS
Longfellow School Library Media Center
Portland, ME
<buzzeocyll@mix-net.net>

Co-author: TERRIFIC CONNECTIONS WITH AUTHORS, ILLUSTRATORS, AND
STORYTELLERS : REAL SPACE AND VIRTUAL LINKS (Libraries Unlimited,
November 1999)