The original question was:

>A colleague asked if it would technically be possible to copy a book >cover
using a flatbed scanner to place the copy on a classroom >bulletin board. I
replied that it is possible to make such a copy but >there might be some
copyright issues there. Would using a copy in >this way be a possible
copyright violation?

The answers ranged from a definite violation - to maybe a violation but do
it anyway  - to the general assumption that copying any book cover is
allowed for educational purposes.

Dr. Carol Simpson of the University of North Texas School of Library &
Information Sciences stated that "If they are studying the book, or there is
some curriculum connection to the book cover, there probably isn't a
problem. Just using it for decoration or "general cultural value isn't a
good enough reason to qualify for the fair use exemption."

Walter Minkel, Technology Editor, School Library Journal wrote that:

>Several publishers have told me that they encourage people to copy >images
of their book covers, & that although they are copyrighted, >they consider
copying them advertising & won't object. BUT you may >not copy illustrations
from inside the book w/o permission.

Sharron L. McElmeel, Writer/Editor, recommends a book by Carol Simpson,
_Copyright for Schools_.

I recommend to the group the very informative web sited by Groton Public
Schools Media Technology Services
In Mystic, CT:

Copyright Implementation Manual
http://groton.k12.ct.us/mts/cimhp01.htm

Many thanks to:

Sally Lantz, Dr. Carol Simpson , Sharron L. McElmeel, Cheryl Sturgeon, Lynn
Johnson, Deena, and Dorothy E. Tissair for taking time to respond to my
request for information.

Martha M. Hawkins, Librarian
Soddy-Dasiy High School
Soddy-Daisy, TN